No announcement yet.

81 GS550T Full Rebuild...In Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spent time installing new shop lights in the garage today then the eldest and I began cleaning out the brake calipers so I can clean them to paint tomorrow. Shocks are also in place but I'm missing one of the top mount acorn nuts and no one in town has any of the 10x1.25 variety, just 10x1.50. I'll probably buy a new set from Boulevard when I order new tank badges, rear brake parts, and a couple of other smaller parts
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The most frustrating thing will be finding the acorn nut just after you receive notification the new one has shipped

Good stuff Scott, good to see you continuing on
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Time for some pictures.

I started the morning off by finishing up the carbs (checking floats and reassembling everything). Yes, there are two choke rods sitting next to the carbs as I had to return them to Steve. Sadly, he tripped again yesterday and two of my rods fell against his buffer. So, he was kind enough to give me two others if I gave back two of mine.

So after running around this afternoon for other things, Charmayne and I went by the garage to clean brakes again. As we did the insides yesterday, it was only right to clean the outsides:

I intend to repaint them this week if I can find time after work to start up the soda blaster again. It seems the paint is so badly worn off the rear brake it just makes sense to strip and start over (what were you saying about falling down the rabbit hole Flyboy?).

And I know I've been talking alot about it but i just haven't found the right light to take a picture until tonight. Since we have better garage lights, things look a little better and so I decided I'd try taking this to show some progress. I'm no Joe Nardy or Nessism, but I'm liking the way it's turning out:

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

That's gonna be pretty.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Lookin' good Scott, all clean and shiny

sigpic

Comment

The rear brake caliper is completely stripped of paint but needs some more good cleaning to remove all traces of the soda blasting I unsuccessfully tried to do. I also painted the rear plastic fender tonight - more to clean it up than anything. I didn't paint the bottom of it though as I'm sure I'll kick up enough road dirt in the first few miles once I get it running.

I'm also in danger of beginning to rush through the work and am trying real hard to prevent that. Case in point, I found myself trying to install the forks into the triple trees BEFORE I had put the rubber cushions onto the headlight ears and then onto the forks. I then realized the two nicer fork covers are too big for my forks. These were ones I received from someone else here, sorry don't remember who, to replace the chewed up one I had previously. So I'm looking for a new fork cover - I found one on Ebay for $35 that I might pick up.

Either way, I just have to slow down and try to do things right; hard to do but so necessary too.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Today was a mix of shopping and some work. First the family and i drove out to columbus to get my daughter a new helmet for her 12th birthday and I picked up a pair of new boots. I was surprised at how hard it is to really find a pair of boots that fit. First couple of boots felt like I was becoming knocked kneed from the feet falling in so much. Two others just didnt feel right in the toes and their zippers were crap. Finally decided on this:

My daughters new helmet:

Once we got back home I started stripping paint from the wheels. More to come tomorrow

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Taken a couple of nights ago, here's the rear brake caliper stripped down and waiting for paint. However, there's a lot of residue from my failed attempt to soda blast them so I need to dunk and clean them first.

Tonight, I finally had everything together to mount up the forks but ran into a slight problem - bent headlight ears. Besides the fact they are upside down in this picture, there was at least a 1-inch gap on top and bottom of each ear. Additionally, one ear was drastically bent while the other was so so but still enough to pose a problem. I believe it happened last year when I had my parking lot fall after trying to stop in too sharp of a turn. I remember the bike falling on the left side and thought something looked odd but never could put my finger on it at the time.

My friend, whose garage I use, and I tried to beat them down using a block of wood and the workbench but that didn't work out so well. So, I was ready to give up and find a 7" bucket to move to a different style of headlight. Calling and telling Steve of my predicament, and my decision since I'd been talking to him about it, I was pleasantly surprised when he offered to use the anvil to fix them.

So after he beat on them for a few minutes he was able to get them back in alignment. It sure is nice to know that powdercoat is pretty tough as it never really cracked too. But anyway, I ran back over to my garage and voila - the forks are now back on the bike:

I would have installed the fender tonight but cannot find the screws for it right now and will have to wait until tomorrow. For those looking at the forks, yes they are higher than normal and I'll adjust them later. However, for those who may be looking and still insist from last year that they should be even with the top of the triple tree, it won't work. I discovered last year it made the bike too unsteady on the center stand (read back through my other rebuild thread from Colorado).

Also, I continued to strip the rear wheel of paint and am closer to being done on it but still need to do some minor work.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Nice and clean and shiny... I like it

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                      However, for those who may be looking and still insist from last year that they should be even with the top of the triple tree, it won't work. I discovered last year it made the bike too unsteady on the center stand (read back through my other rebuild thread from Colorado).

Wait a minute, wait a minute...

WHAAAAAAAATT?

I don't know what you changed to make the centerstand work wrong, but bandaiding it by raising the forks is not the right answer.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Those look like nice boots for the price. I'll have to bookmark them for a possible gear upgrade next year. Pretty comfy walking around? I'm currently wearing black leather Cat-brand work boots. They work fine for riding, but are a little clunky for just walking around in. Not a big problem for me, since I used to wear combat boots all day, but still.
                        Charles
                        --
                        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          Wait a minute, wait a minute...

WHAAAAAAAATT?

I don't know what you changed to make the centerstand work wrong, but bandaiding it by raising the forks is not the right answer.
                          IIRC, those aren't 550T fork legs.
                          Dogma
                          --
                          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Right, they were 750E forks that the PO had put on.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Today was a mixed bag of sorts. We put the stock spacer I received from Gustovh for the top rear mounting bolt into place today. However, we found out later when trying to reinstall the bolts that it jacked one side of the engine up just a bit too high. Removing it caused the engine to sit back into place perfectly. So, as it's a 10mm bearing with washers attached essentially, I decided to hit Lowes to find a replacement (Ace was closed already and has ticked me off lately on their selection). I found a 3/8" x 1/2" x 1 1/2" steel bearing that will work but we'll need to add some extra washers to take up the space. I think I'll be okay...I hope

Before all that, I finished stripping the paint off the wheels as best I could. I grabbed a couple of dremel sized roloc wheels from Walmart to help out. As good of a job they did, it wasn't worth the $3 for the two wheels as both went very quickly. I think they are made for the lightest of jobs. I then tried to soda blast off what paint was left but that didn't work either. Not sure what I'll do but am thinking of just priming over it since it's in the deep corners that I can't get to.

Finally, I painted the rear brake caliper halves and the brackets for the front brake calipers (my Salty Monk adoption). It was too late to take pictures since my phone battery was about to die so I'll do it tomorrow.

For those of you who bake your calipers in the toaster oven after painting; how long do you wait until you put them in? Can I put them in tomorrow morning or do I have to wait a few days?

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Once you bake them they are done, the paint will be very hard.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                                X