Concours / OEM or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concours / OEM or Not?

(I have also posted this on my Rebuild thread)

I must have spent about 3 weeks reading all the threads on this forum. It is trully addictive when you find someone doing exactly what you are in the process of doing. Most of the details are covered. I do however have some big questions that are taxing me as to my overall strategy. I am expecting my restore / rebuild to take 2 years (given my work load and financing) so how would anyone answer these questions:

1. Do I restore bike to 100% concours original equipment or do I restore it so that it has the longest possible life span from now. ie if it is to be 100% original I would not replace crossheaded screws with hex screw but it is sensible to replace with hex if you want to keep it forever and work on it from time to time.

2. To be concours does it need to have 100% original colour scheme?

3. Do I 100% dismantle the bike before restoring any of the bits and start with the frame? Or should I start sending parts away for powder coating now?

4. Will the bike be worth more as 100% OEM or with parts that will make it last longer (ie better rectifier / stator and better fork springs). I realise that I will never get the money back that I am going to put into this restore (I estimate £5K GBP or $8K USD) but I would prefer to have the restore strategy firmly set up in advance.

Greetings

TIA
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

well, thats a tricky one.
    if you want it to be 100% straight out the crate brand new then thats how it should be done, everything OEM. painted frame,no powder coating. original fittings and fixtures and hardware,(screws bolts etc) and 100% perfect paint job.
    if you want it to "look" brand new but with the options of durability, reliability and ease of maintenance then go for uprated hardware,powder coating and stainless fasteners.
    to get 100% concours i expect you are looking at a lot more than 5K i would think, mint condition exhaust etc will soon bang up the costs
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
      (I have also posted this on my Rebuild thread)

I must have spent about 3 weeks reading all the threads on this forum. It is trully addictive when you find someone doing exactly what you are in the process of doing. Most of the details are covered. I do however have some big questions that are taxing me as to my overall strategy. I am expecting my restore / rebuild to take 2 years (given my work load and financing) so how would anyone answer these questions:

1. Do I restore bike to 100% concours original equipment or do I restore it so that it has the longest possible life span from now. ie if it is to be 100% original I would not replace crossheaded screws with hex screw but it is sensible to replace with hex if you want to keep it forever and work on it from time to time.

2. To be concours does it need to have 100% original colour scheme?

3. Do I 100% dismantle the bike before restoring any of the bits and start with the frame? Or should I start sending parts away for powder coating now?

4. Will the bike be worth more as 100% OEM or with parts that will make it last longer (ie better rectifier / stator and better fork springs). I realise that I will never get the money back that I am going to put into this restore (I estimate £5K GBP or $8K USD) but I would prefer to have the restore strategy firmly set up in advance.

Greetings

TIA
      If it were an Ariel or The Vincent it would make sense to worry about this question. A old GS will never be worth much, if you want to make money part it out. If you enjoy doing the work by all means do it, but doing it for money is silly. If you want it 100% original go that way, if you want it in good safe shape to ride do that. It just depends on which way you feel like frittering away your time and effort.
      A rolling restoration is the only thing that makes sense to me, going a year or so without riding it just isn't going to happen. I don't know how many bikes you have to ride, I have several available and still wouldn't have one apart for a long time. If the frame needs work, it's apart for a few days, then right back together for the rest of the rolling resto.

Whichever way you go, we will be requiring pictures.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Well I'd say built it to modernize it somewhat. Even in mint concours condition, these bikes are not getting top collector dollar. Unless you can predict the future and see a dramatic rise in their prices, Do as you want - and make the changes so you can easily go back. I do agree with the overabundance of Phillips head screws on the GS's. Too many. I'm putting mine back with hex head bolts in the tougher areas. Front harness hanger and electrical panel were a real bear for me to get apart. Grind and extract. Good luck in which way you go.
        1983 GS1100E

Comment

My thought would be build what you want. If you want the public appeciation of a 100 point concourse restoration ....then by all means go for it.
          if you want a nice rider then update with the thought in mind to not make any changes that would be tough to reverse.
          With all the hatchet mechanics making (garbage) bobbers out of restorable suzuki's, There are less and less truly restorable bikes out there. Nobody ever thought that the early British, Italian, or even Spanish bikes would be collectable, and now they are. The same is happening for old oriental bikes. Right now I'm looking for a restorabe Hodaka Ace, and what is out there is bent, broken and generally trashed. But it is a bike that I lusted after as a kid.
          Our Suzuki's will come around given time, especially if it is a desireable model or has a special history such as someone like an Arlo Guthery had owned it. (He owned gs425 at one time)

Comment

Considering your starting point, my opinion is a concourse restoration is out of reach without replacing half the parts and spending MAJOR $$.

I suggest restoring the bike as close to stock as possible, but with a focus on value and reliability of the end product. Things like braided stainless brake lines, a AMG battery, FET or series style R/R, fixing the charging system wiring, etc, are all vehicle improvements that will increase reliability and usability of the bike.

Good luck
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

"I suggest restoring the bike as close to stock as possible, but with a focus on value and reliability of the end product. Things like braided stainless brake lines, a AMG battery, FET or series style R/R, fixing the charging system wiring, etc, are all vehicle improvements that will increase reliability and usability of the bike."

I agree with Ed 100%.

My bike is a rider. I prefer as original as possible but there are lots of better options regarding shocks, brake lines, electricals and tyres.

OEM in some areas such as the exhaust may be hard to justify on price.

These bikes were built to be ridden and enjoyed. Do both!!!
              Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
              1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
              1977 GS400
              1974 Montesa 250
              1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

just ride it.

Comment

Originally posted by barnbiketom View Post
                  just ride it.
                  This .

Comment

I would go for the stock OEM look with under the skin upgrades......
                    And yes. that ^^^^^^^^

Comment

Appreciated

Thanks for your replies to that. I am going to go for longevity and as close to OEM as possible. So for starters that will be a powder coated frame and hex nuts on the carbs.

I will enjoy the riding far more than the showing I think.

Greetings
                      Richard
                      sigpic
                      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post

I will enjoy the riding far more than the showing I think.

Greetings

If you ever get that far.

Most projects eventually get scrapped.

Good luck with that.

Comment

Take a look here:

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

and the blog here:

The restoration project for my dad's 1984 Suzuki GS1100 G.The bike was shipped to the UK and is now in Canterbury for restoration - August 2012.

I'm nearly there!

Greetings
                          Richard
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X