78 GS750E in Indiana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS750E in Indiana

I picked up my winter project today. An E model with only 9400 miles, but the bike is in crap shape. Absolutely not taken care of. Do not be fooled by the pictures because it does not look that good.

It runs, but not very well. Obviously corroded carburetors. Does not want to stop, in fact it feels like the back brake is wanting to seize the wheel. And the tank has the look of someone had a problem with it. You'll see.

My plan is to get this bike fairly close back to stock, but I'm not yet sure I want to keep the paint scheme the same. I really like the orange and red stripes on both one of the 450s I've seen, and a late 70s CB900 F. But keep it black. Oh, and keep the headers. I have Kerkers to put on it, but will need baffles. This is really one of my dream bikes so I intend to keep it. I usually sell my winter rebuilds. Will need a fairing of some kind, so we'll see what is available down the road.

Lots to do in the meantime. Carbs, brakes, bearings, cables, clutch basket look at, oil, and new paint and shine on the motor. Will be a slow deal, but I will keep this current. If there are any issues with the 78, please let me know. I've done this before on other bikes, but I am certainly not an expert. Here are some starting pics

From the front.

Filthy motor and rusty headers.

Side view with mismatched drag pipes.

Is this worth fixing or should I try to find a new one. Insides are rust free.

Your input is encouraged, except cut it up for a cafe.

Looks like someone might have stuffed a 110 front tire in there... you'll be replacing the tires anyway, but make sure you remember to check and order the correct sizes.

Good luck with the project! Should be pretty straightforward.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

It's a 100/90. When it is done, I will change the tires. Who knows how old these are. Front is not terrible bad, but the back has been burnt out a few times.

Comment

Great to see another Hoosier 1978 GS750, Terre Haute! I look forward to your updates. What are you thinking for pipes?

Comment

I was kind of in your area yesterday Ledyard; went to Toledo to sell my last project. Lots of prairie up there. It has some headers, 4 into 1, that I think will fit the Kerker muffler I have. I love the looks of the original 2 into2 but most likely too rich for my blood. Who knows, maybe has a good deal here.

Comment

That dent looks doable, be careful or you could make it worse.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Look at the date codes.

If they have no codes they are from the seventies. A three digit code it's from the eighties or nineties.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I am looking for suggestions on vendors for some parts:

Brake Lines (SS or Rubber)
                Master Cylinder Rebuild Kits
                Caliper Rebuild Kits.
                Carb Kit See link--is this enough or are there o-rings I will need? I understand the o-ring for the manifold boot needs replaced as well. http://carbkitscapital.com/carb_kit_...i&model=GS750E
                Clutch & Throttle cable

Should I post this to the discussion thread? I appreciate the input.

Comment

Originally posted by wedoo2 View Post
                  I am looking for suggestions on vendors for some parts:

Brake Lines (SS or Rubber)
                  Master Cylinder Rebuild Kits
                  Caliper Rebuild Kits.
                  Carb Kit See link--is this enough or are there o-rings I will need? I understand the o-ring for the manifold boot needs replaced as well. http://carbkitscapital.com/carb_kit_...i&model=GS750E
                  Clutch & Throttle cable

Should I post this to the discussion thread? I appreciate the input.
                  This will get you started, Orings for the carbs http://www.cycleorings.com/

For sprockets, chains, SS brake lines and other stuff...http://www.z1enterprises.com/

Factory parts...http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/...
                  OEM Parts for Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Can-Am, Sea-Doo, and Vanderhall

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

And this site will be extremely helpful

Other members of this forum well have other suggestions as well. So you have a good start. Pay close attention to the advice here grasshoppa...
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    Look at the date codes.

If they have no codes they are from the seventies. A three digit code it's from the eighties or nineties.
                    Rear Tire is 1986, but the front is great. May use it, we'll see.

Comment

That dent looks identical to the one on my bike. Gonna strip the paint then tackle the dent pull before giving her a proper refin.

Comment

Originally posted by wedoo2 View Post
                        Rear Tire is 1986, but the front is great. May use it, we'll see.
                        Yup rear tire is way too old to even think it's safe, though what is the date on the front, just because it looks great doesn't mean it should be used. Besides from what I can see in the photo, not sure I like the way it is sitting on the bead. I would think a 90 is large enough for the front.
                        Last edited by mrbill5491; 10-31-2012, 04:34 PM.
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                          Yup rear tire is way too old to even think it's safe, though what is the date on the front, just because it looks great doesn't mean it should be used. Besides from what I can see in the photo, not sure I like the way it is sitting on the bead. I would think a 90 is large enough for the front.
                          I could not find a date on the front, but I'm going to change it too. I'll get whatever the right size is.

I started tearing it down today. BTW, there is no shut off position on the petcock, RES, ON, PRI. Didn't see anything different in my manual either??
                          Ain't those headers purdy?

You know, maybe clean your motorcycle, at least once a year.

The chrome on the front fender, the headlight are in good shape. The chrome on the back side of the instrument housing is scratched on the right side. Forks, handlebars, brake calipers will clean up like new. We'll see about the tank. The motor will be coming out in a couple of weeks or so. Need an air filter cover. Try to find one of those.

Comment

Petcock is vacum activated, on, res. work only if engine is running. Prime allows gas to flow without vacum, good when bike has been sitting a while and needs a little priming. If on, or res. work without engine running means it's not working properly and will need replaced. terrylee

Comment

Thanks, I thought I had read something about that. What creates the vacuum?

Comment

Working...
                              X