'82 Katana, "the tomato project"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 Katana, "the tomato project"

Hi all. I have been a great admirer of a lot of your bikes and projects and I going to attempt to contribute with a project(s) of mine. I had owned a couple of GS’s in my younger days and now a few have ended up in my garage over the past couple of years and I am now putting in the effort to get back them onto the road.

A month back I purchased a "tomato" red 1982 Katana in PA. Some of you may have seen it since it was posted on the “Bikes for Sale” forum. I am now trying to give it the love it deserves. It has been sitting for 5-6 years and the previous owner painted it red and the frame black. I plan to restore it in two phases. Phase 1: Get it all pieced together, get it fully functional, reintroduce silver paint to the body and plastic parts, and focus on getting the engine back to where it needs to be. Overall this is pretty complete bike other than some missing bits from its travels during the past 30 years.

Phase 2 (next summer): I will focus on the suspension, rims, tires, and strip it naked and get the frame repainted silver and put it all back together as original as I can.

I like to think as myself as a decent mechanic but all my experience is working on big stuff like combustion and steam turbines. After many years in the world of power generation, I now travel a lot watching and managing the building of power plants (I'm a Senior Project Manager) so my work demands doesn’t allow me to spend a lot of time restoring these bikes anymore. So I am letting someone else do the heavy lifting when it comes to restoring my two wheel mistresses. I know, I know.

Ken's Cycle in Reading (PA) is doing the work and they are a quality shop with expert knowledge of most, if not all, UJM bikes and I highly recommend them. Those looking for some parts; Ken has a lot, and I mean a lot that are neatly sorted and stored in his warehouse. If there was version of "American Pickers" for motorcycles, a walk through his warehouse would be like finding Captain Kidd’s treasure for 70’s and 80’s four and two stroke bikes.

I have lots of pictures of this build and will be posting them.

Additionally, I have ’83 GS1100E that is really getting an overhaul. This one will be resto-mod with a Bandit swingarm, GSXR forks, and a completely rebuilt engine by Rapid Ray. I am also going to attempt to add a ’90 GSXR upper fairing to it. I'm trying for a GS1200SS vibe. That will be another thread with pictures.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-05-2012, 06:23 PM.

Engine teardown

The compression was low in one cyclinder and found some of the valves of that cyclinder to have a lot of carbon build up.

Comment

What are you doing with the stock swingarm from the 83 GS1100E? You want to sell it?

Comment

Originally posted by Hone101 View Post
        What are you doing with the stock swingarm from the 83 GS1100E? You want to sell it?
        Yup, its for sale. I will be on the traveling till the 14th and when I get back I'll take some pictures and send them to you. At some point when I get these two bikes in road ready shape, I was going to start listing my leftover bones for sale. I'll reserve the swingarm for you.

Comment

Engine work

After I got the cyclinder head redone, I had the engine cleaned and repainted. Here are some pics of it back in the bike. I'm having the casing covers polished.

If you see from the picture in my first post, the front sprocket cover was missing and the previous owner had made one under the shade tree with some scrap metal. I have spare GS1000 engine in my shed and robbing parts off of it to finish this one.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5202e8f5.jpg

Last edited by Guest; 11-05-2012, 08:30 PM.

Comment

That looks great!

Next time I do an engine I have to get it painted, it just looks soooo good!

Comment

Agreed with the looking terrific!
              1983 GS1100E

Comment

Good luck with the project. As for posting pictures, just copy and paste the "IMG" code from your photobucket pics into the body of your post and you will get a big pic. That way we won't have to click on the link. The "IMG" code is listed next to your pic in photobucket. So you will get this:

Comment

Is that side panel / fuse box original? It is so clean.

Comment

Originally posted by wedoo2 View Post
                    Is that side panel / fuse box original? It is so clean.
                    This shop I'm using, the owner, Ken, this guy is a freak when it comes to his workmanship. If you go into his "showroom" you need to bring a roll of papertowels or a good cotton rag to help with the drooling.

Comment

Nice project. Subscribed!

Russ, is that YOUR Katana pictured???
                      '80 GS1000ST
                      '92 ZX-11
                      Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Is it me or does that sprocket cover look odd?

Always nice to see another Kat here; project looks great so far!

Comment

"shine on you crazy diamond"

After some spit and polish, here are some side shots of the engine.

Enjoy.

Comment

Your bike is coming along great. She's gonna be a beauty

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool
                              Nice job on the engine, are you painting the wheels? I noticed you took them down all the way with no paint on them.
                              I haven't touched the wheels. This is how they came when I bought the bike. I do plan to make them original when its all said and done.

Comment

Working...
                              X