Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got a GS250 but?

Hello All,
    I have just been given a GS250T which the last owner had sitting in his garage for the past 12 years,so he gave it to me.As it has not run for the last 12 odd years he has lost the keys for it,I have removed the ignition switch but can't find any number on it to get a new key.The fuel cap does not have any numbers on it too but there is a number on the helmet lock would this be the same as the ignition and fuel cap key? I can turn the engine over by putting in top gear and turning the rear wheel so the engine hasn't seized or anything but would like to see if it would run before spending too much time and money on the bike.How collectible are these bikes nowadays really looking to see if I can get this bike back on the road more than breaking it for bits.I know it could do with a new rear mudguard and handlebars being re chromed and a damn good clean,also got new brake pads to fit and bleed as there is no fluid in the reservoir.

Regards
    Tatsat

Comment

I have an 81 250T, great little bike.
      Puts the fun back in riding
      Clean the carbs really well, check the tank for rust, change the oil. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Tatsat View Post
        Hello All,
        I have just been given a GS250T which the last owner had sitting in his garage for the past 12 years,so he gave it to me.As it has not run for the last 12 odd years he has lost the keys for it,I have removed the ignition switch but can't find any number on it to get a new key.The fuel cap does not have any numbers on it too but there is a number on the helmet lock would this be the same as the ignition and fuel cap key? I can turn the engine over by putting in top gear and turning the rear wheel so the engine hasn't seized or anything but would like to see if it would run before spending too much time and money on the bike.How collectible are these bikes nowadays really looking to see if I can get this bike back on the road more than breaking it for bits.I know it could do with a new rear mudguard and handlebars being re chromed and a damn good clean,also got new brake pads to fit and bleed as there is no fluid in the reservoir.

Regards
        Tatsat
        Helmet lock number and ignition key should be the same unless one of them was changed.
        Go to your Suzuki store and have the service department cut you a key based on the helmet lock number.

Comment

A good locksmith can do it. Call around, they don't all have the codes anymore.

You can also remove the ignition switch, remove the key lock from it and operate the switch with a screwdriver.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks all have to check again for the number on the helmet lock and hope it hasn't been changed then get a key cut.

Regards,
            Tatsat

Comment

New update I have taken the ignition switch to a local locksmiths that we use at work. They will take the lock apart and make a couple of keys for me for about £25-£35 sound that's not too bad just have to hope the fuel cap is the same key as the ignition key. New battery has been filled with acid and put on charge so going to have a clean up and should be ready to start major work at the weekend

Regards
              Tatsat

Comment

Now got the keys not a bad price I thought £28 for 2 keys made to the ignition barrel which also works in the petrol filler cap.Battery is charged but couldnt get the engine to turn over looks like it will be the weekend before I get to have another play with it.

Tatsat

Comment

Working...
                X