No announcement yet.

Rebuilding my 1980 GS250T here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent! Could just be condensors on the coils have died too, not sure if they're replaceable though... and of course the typical points gap/filing etc...
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Good call. I think I will order new points and condensers first. That would save about $90.

I'm going to start a new thread for this bike. Should be another fun project. I don't think I will need to get into the engine on this one though. Carb kit, ignition kit, seat cover, and headlight is what I plan on right away.

Comment

It doesn't run because it doesn't have spark so the first thing I'm going to replace are the coils I think
        Very doubtful that it would be coils, they seldom conk out in my experience. More likely the ignitor if its electronic or points and condensors otherwise. If it is points try cleaning them with a bit of sandpaper or a points file first before spending money. It could also be the plug caps as they sometimes get too resistant. I've encountered that on 2 bikes now. Plug caps are only around $7 each so worth looking at too.

Looks like a sweet little bike. Well done.

Spyug

Comment

Good call Spyug. Before I investigated much, I assumed the plug caps and condensers were part of the coils. I see I can get everything separate now so I won't replace the coils unless all else fails. I can get new condensers and points for $18 so I'm going for it. I really hate dealing with points so I'll start fresh and then I know they're good.

Comment

Good stuff mate, will look out for the new thread...
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I'm a little late to the thread, but I just wanted to comment: wow, that's a pretty good result on that chrome! My whole bike is pitted like that, maybe a bit worse. I wasn't going to do anything about it but after seeing your pics, maybe I'll give that Noxon 7 a shot. Does anyone recommend any other products as well? How about something to protect it, regular auto wax?
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Better late then never! I thought the chrome came out great. Noxon is one of the best I've used. A little elbow grease and chrome comes out great. I used to detail cars and bikes so I figured out what works pretty quick. Any good wax will work for protection, just don't get a strong cleaner wax. You don't need the cleaner part and it could dull the chrome. I use synthetic sealer wax because it lasts a lot longer than carnauba wax.

Comment

Sweet bike! I just bought a 1980 gs250 my self and I am in the process of getting it back into shape. Yours seems to be in a lot better shape than mine at the moment haha but just a little at a time I guess.

Comment

They are fun little bikes. The 6 speed makes it seem faster than expected. I didn't see a current picture in my thread since I did all the work so enjoy. The tank paint isn't as nice up close but it will do. I waxed it heavily for protection.

Comment

what was yours like in top speed, mpg, acceleration etc?

Comment

Originally posted by 1980Gs250 View Post
                        what was yours like in top speed, mpg, acceleration etc?
                        I had it up to 80mph. Sketchy but it did it. Had to pull in 5th gear because 6th gear is too tall. Not sure what it gets for mpg because I've only ridden it short rides around town but they should get around 55 mpg I think. For a 250 they accelerate hard in 1st and 2nd. I pulled a wheelie in first from the torque. It should have some get-up-and-go. It should rev pretty quick too.

Comment

by sketchy do you mean it didnt feel safe or? i might goose it up to 65mph at the most i dont drive fast in a car much less a bike haha.... just so long as it keeps up with traffic i am good..... if it gets along at 55-60 miles per gallon that sounds good as well i like the idea of 6 gears maybe it wont be so rung out on the 4 lane

Comment

It doesn't feel very safe above 65 to be honest. A gust of wind off a truck could blow you over. It's a 350 lb bike with narrow tires. It's definitely not hugging the road like a huge bagger. I would ride it all day at 55 mph.

Comment

ahh i gotcha yeah i dont like being around big trucks in a car much less a bike if it rides fine at 55 than that works for me.... im just gonna ride back and forth across town to college on it and will rarely hit the interstate

Comment

That's all I did with mine. I only took it up to 80 to make sure it would do it. They have a top speed of 94 I hear.

Comment

Working...
                                X