Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Bike Build Ever (GS450)

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and the bike scene in general. I just picked up this bike on a whim and am starting to do some research on her. So far what I know is that it is a GS450 that had some modifications done by the previous owner like a new regulator/rectifier, straight through pipes, and the seat. My main question for everyone out there is where should I start? I want to get this bike cleaned up, stripped down and repainted. There's a bit of surface rust on the frame and I noticed that the wiring looks like a mess. She runs great and starts right up so that isn't an issue. Aesthetics wise I am still putting my head together on what to do but that won't be for awhile. Let me know what you guys think and I will be updating as I go on.

One thing I have ordered is a oil pan gasket that the previous owner told me should be done. So when that gets in I will look into tackling that.

Looks like a good start! I like the front end (fork gators and brake adapters). If I were you I'd get working on a new tail and seat. The exhaust could use some paint or wrapping. Wheels could probably be cleaned up. Lastly it looks like there are a few loose tabs on the frame that could be cut off and cleaned up at the same time as the rest of the frame. Other than that you might as well keep it cheap and just enjoy!

Comment

Welcome--nice bike! You'll be getting a welcome message with all the trimmings to assist you with everything you'll need to work on your bike. Keep us updated.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

And a front fender. Despite the current trend, you really need that thing.

Comment

Hey mate, welcome!

Firstly, did you get that from a guy called Dennis? It looks really familiar to me and I'm pretty sure the guy's name is Dennis who I'm thinking of...

If it's the one, those are Salty Monk's adapters on the brake calipers to take the twinpot Kawasaki calipers.

That front end I think you'll find is from a 550 if I remember correctly.

Also, and again if I remember correctly, you will have some very nice but non standard carby's on there as well. I can't remember the model unfortunately or if they're Keihins or Mikunis, but they should be good.

On the negative side, no front guard really is a bad thing... it doesn't just keep the crud off if it gets wet but also acts as a fork brace to a certain extent, making the front end feel a lot more solid under braking and when cornering.

Personally I'd do something about some sort of muffler in the pipe as well. My 450's pipe is a custom that is pretty free flowing but it's plenty loud enough, and louder and it would actually be very uncomfortable to ride and these twins just don't sound good with open pipes... but that's just my take on it...

If this is the bike I'm thinking of, then I believe he has taken some time to get the jetting sorted, so if you do something with the pipe, you'll definitely need to re-jet as well otherwise it will start running too rich.

Anyway, good luck and keep us up to date with how it goes!
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

PhillyCafe,

Nice looking cafe project you have there! It looks like the PO (who I think also was a member here at some point) did a lot of the footwork for you. Those are the Salty Monk brakes up front and Stainless Steel lines. All good there.

As for where you should take it? I'd start with a cut down front fender (you really do need one) and do something about covering that seat. A motorcycle seat should NEVER be white .

Spend the winter cleaning it up, and you will have a really nice bike when spring rolls around.

Comment

Thanks Pete,

Matter of fact it was owned by Dennis before me, it's interesting how some members can remember a bike so well. A few people have advised me to get a front guard so I will look into that and definitely want to clean up the pipes a bit. I'm going to look for original thread of my bike to get a better idea of what Dennis did before me so I get into it. I will be keeping this updated as I go but I'm taking my time, I need a license first lol.

Thanks the help!

Originally posted by pete View Post
              Hey mate, welcome!

Firstly, did you get that from a guy called Dennis? It looks really familiar to me and I'm pretty sure the guy's name is Dennis who I'm thinking of...

If it's the one, those are Salty Monk's adapters on the brake calipers to take the twinpot Kawasaki calipers.

That front end I think you'll find is from a 550 if I remember correctly.

Also, and again if I remember correctly, you will have some very nice but non standard carby's on there as well. I can't remember the model unfortunately or if they're Keihins or Mikunis, but they should be good.

On the negative side, no front guard really is a bad thing... it doesn't just keep the crud off if it gets wet but also acts as a fork brace to a certain extent, making the front end feel a lot more solid under braking and when cornering.

Personally I'd do something about some sort of muffler in the pipe as well. My 450's pipe is a custom that is pretty free flowing but it's plenty loud enough, and louder and it would actually be very uncomfortable to ride and these twins just don't sound good with open pipes... but that's just my take on it...

If this is the bike I'm thinking of, then I believe he has taken some time to get the jetting sorted, so if you do something with the pipe, you'll definitely need to re-jet as well otherwise it will start running too rich.

Anyway, good luck and keep us up to date with how it goes!

Comment

Been thinking about a front fender and definitely a seat. The one that was on it flew off in transport so I've been using some extra padding I had lying around as a temp seat while I toy with it lol.

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
                PhillyCafe,

Nice looking cafe project you have there! It looks like the PO (who I think also was a member here at some point) did a lot of the footwork for you. Those are the Salty Monk brakes up front and Stainless Steel lines. All good there.

As for where you should take it? I'd start with a cut down front fender (you really do need one) and do something about covering that seat. A motorcycle seat should NEVER be white .

Spend the winter cleaning it up, and you will have a really nice bike when spring rolls around.

Comment

Originally posted by PhillyCafe View Post
                  I need a license first lol.
                  Glad I wasn't the only one to buy a bike before having a license !

The VERY first thing you should do, before the seat or fender is get some good basic training. Sign up for an beginning rider course. You will learn the operation and handling skills of a motorcycle, but also lots of other things to help you be a better and safer street rider. There is no substitute for rider training and practice, best to learn right the first time so you don't develop bad habits.

Comment

The VERY first thing you should do, before the seat or fender is get some good basic training. Sign up for an beginning rider course. You will learn the operation and handling skills of a motorcycle, but also lots of other things to help you be a better and safer street rider. There is no substitute for rider training and practice, best to learn right the first time so you don't develop bad habits.

http://www.pamsp.com/CourseInfo_Basic.aspx
                    The training course is a lot of fun too. Everyone else there is in a similar situation so it's pretty relaxed. No one in my class judged anyone else. Well the instructor did at the end, but it was their job to.

Comment

Ok, Dennis' screen name is "djg42" and he put Mikuni VM34's on there.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=183266

That's definitely the bike, so it'll be good to know the history.

I don't recall there being an original build thread, I think there were individual threads here and there for issues but there still should be plenty of info for you.
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

PhillyCafe,

Aren't you the one who told me to put a white seat on mine....? Ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by hjacobmiller View Post
                          Aren't you the one who told me to put a white seat on mine....? Ha ha
                          SHHHH! That's only because it fit the classic 50's teal and white vibe of your build. As I didnt 'tell' you, more of proposed as an alternative. Along with a bunch of other options

Comment

Thanks for the support everyone and I will be updating as I go. I just started looking through the old threads from the previous owner of the bike and I am learning a lot, especially that there is a lot I need to fix. Once again, the wiring is going to be a huge debacle (I'll post pictures) and then I need to replace the oil pan gasket. Any tips?

Comment

When doing the pan gasket take your time, clean all the old gasket off, but be sure not to nick the metal. Also the bolts have a specific corresponding thread, so keep them in order.

Be sure to get a real Suzuki gasket, many of the after market ones are garbage and will leak.

Also PB blaster is your friend, and be sure not to over torque them going back in. The old alloy strips out very easily. Use a torque wrench and the proper torque setting.

Finally, have fun doing it! Wrenching can be very enjoyable and satisfying, or a pain in the ass. Depends on your attitude and how well the job is going

Comment

Working...
                              X