Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First GS1100G Rebuild

Howdy All,
    I have restored several Honda CB's, but never a Suzuki, so this will be my first. The bike wasn't running when I bought it, but the PO said it had been running good when it quit. The motor turned over OK by hand and seemed to have compression. The bike was relatively complete and in pretty decent shape, so I took a chance. Once I got it home and started testing, I discovered the starter motor was bad. It is being in the process of rebuilding now. I pulled the carbs and discovered they had no slide springs and the pilot jets were 60's! Yep, 60's. I think the PO burnt the starter motor up trying to start it, which he denies of course. It had been run very lean and very hot to turn the pipes such a deep blue color. I hope the motor internals are OK, I think they are. Once I get the starter motor rebuilt and the carbs rebuilt with the proper jetting, I'll see if it will start. More to come later.

Hello fellow GS1100Ger. Would love to see some pics.

Here is a thread I made up of all the GS1100 and GS1000 threads that are the best reads for GS1100G owners. There is tons in that lot.

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Have a look at my rebuild blog too: My GS1100 Blog although it is so cold and miserable over these winter months in the UK that I haven't done much work lately.

Greetings

P.S. My bother lives in DFW, TX
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Howdy Richard! Thanks so much for the great link on GS rebuilds. I'll study it well. I used to live in Dallas many years ago. My paternal grandfather (Ackroyd) came from Bradford, York. Small world, isn't it?

Comment

Working...
      X