It has begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has begun

Well earlier this fall I posted that I found a skunk on the side of the road. [ We'll call it Road Kill] I had been watching for a 1000 Skunk for a couple years ,so I was pretty excited about it . Well then I get this other 1000 Skunk from a friend and it is in way better shape than Road Kill , so I have decided to do a custom job on Road Kill and do a restore on the better one. I figured I could save the best of the parts for the restore and then build a mutt out of Road Kill. This is Road Kill when I brought it home;

So I started by getting it running , cleaned the carbs , good soaking and new o-rings and gaskets ect, installed them , changed the oil , new battery and fired it up . Motor sounds good , aside from a few oil leaks . Ordered up the gaskets that I need.
    So I am thinking I want a fat tire in the rear , with a good front end, so I started looking at what parts I got and have now decided to put a 97 600 Bandit swing arm on it as I already had it . I decided to stay with the twin shocks so had to make up some shock mounts and weld them onto the swing arm, as for mounting the swing arm I was able to use the bearing races from the original 1000 swing arm in the bearings from the Bandit. They had the same outside diameter. So no hunting or drilling of the frame was required .

The wheel I am not sure what it is from. I got it from TAS850G he had it for a conversion on his Gixxer then went another direction. Anyway I believe it is from a Late 80's early 90's Katana, as it has a 160 tire, might be able to squeeze a 170 on but may not be shaped right as it is a 4.5 rim. But it will be fine.

Doing a 530 chain conversion. I am going to turn a carrier down 1/4" to move the chain over a little and I should be able to use just a spacer behind the 530 front sprocket .
    I had to cut the frame where the original pipes attached and passenger pegs were to fit the arm so I decided to add rearsets, have that wrecked Bandit and the rear sets are going to work fine I believe. I need to make up some mounting points . Time to play with my brothers lathe for a while.
    Last edited by hjfisk; 02-26-2013, 09:05 PM.
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Oh, Nooooo. Your'e cutting up a Skunk???

You just KNOW that the GSR is gonna come down on ya.

Looking good, so far, keep it up.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Oh, Nooooo. Your'e cutting up a Skunk???

You just KNOW that the GSR is gonna come down on ya.

Looking good, so far, keep it up.

Best thing you can do to a skunk, those things are butt fugly, looking good, keep heading in whatever direction your creativitey will take you.

Comment

I know I had a hard time deciding if I wanted to make those cuts. I was struggling . But in the end I am going for the Skunk look with some of the modern features better rubber. I want to get a set of Ohlins shocks, I have a cartridge front end, better brakes. A mutt. But I hope that the GSR will forgive me when I do the restore on the other one.
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,

Comment

no no no no, not a wolf in skunks clothing, change up the paint with something more modern, since your giving it a modern makeover, it will still be a GS1000, just paint the bast***, something different, and not just another skunk scheme with different colors, make this one yours only!!!

Comment

Final date of the 1986 Amnesty International Conspiracy of Hope Tour. Peter Gabriel played arguably the best set of his career. Joni Mitchell's ex-husband, ...

Comment

I'm using a Katana rear wheel also, a 3/8" offset sprocket and a 1/4" cut on the carrier seems to be the ticket

I tried a 5/8" off set, which matches the rear wheel for alignment, but is too close to the frame and shock

If that Bandit front end is OK, bolt that on after swapping out the stem
              Last edited by Big T; 01-06-2013, 10:49 PM.
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                I'm using a Katana rear wheel also, a 3/8" offset sprocket and a 1/4" cut on the carrier seems to be the ticket

I tried a 5/8" off set, which matches the rear wheel for alignment, but is too close to the frame and shock

If that Bandit front end is OK, bolt that on after swapping out the stem
                The Bandit front end is good but the 96 600 front end is not a cartridge front end. I have a 99 ZX6 front end which is that I am going the play with. The fork tubes are the same length as stock and it is a 41mm tube , I also have a 83 GK triple tree and those were 41mm so we will see what transpires out of a big azz pile of parts
                1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                  ... we will see what transpires out of a big azz pile of parts
                  FRANKENBIKE!!

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Nice! Subscribed.
                    '80 GS1000ST
                    '92 ZX-11
                    Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Personally, I like the idea of a stock-looking Skunk, especially the stock paint, but with more modern suspension components. It's very similar to what people are doing with 60's cars these days, and, getting big bux for them, too, especially with modern running gear. Stock looking on the outside, with a beast lurking underneath.
                      1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

If you are using bandit parts the bike is gunna be awesome! Subscribed.

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                          Personally, I like the idea of a stock-looking Skunk, especially the stock paint, but with more modern suspension components. It's very similar to what people are doing with 60's cars these days, and, getting big bux for them, too, especially with modern running gear. Stock looking on the outside, with a beast lurking underneath.
                          My sentiments exactly.
                          A lot of the beautiful hot rods out of Japan from builders like Over and Sanctuary are put together in this fashion.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Yes I am going for the stock paint scheme,seat ect. Need to find a set of gages, the ones on it are not original, they are off a 850-1000g from the looks. I need to get a headlight and the mounts from a naked SV650 also. They are 41mm mounts and the headlight [ reflector ] casts a great light pattern compared to the stock ones. I have one on my 1000G and love it . I need to find a decent step seat cover also. There are alot of things I am going to need to get. And as some of you know how much I like to build 1 off custom exhausts. I believe I am going to do a 4into2 dual exhaust,up swept shorty carbon fiber cans adapted from a Busa exhaust. I believe that if I stay with the 4 into 2 with the suspension changes I may not have the clearance problems that are so common. If you look at the rear shock mounts I made them so that It actually didn't lose any height , even with the shorter rear tire, plus the shocks ride with a couple degrees more angle to them. The swing arm is 2 1/4" longer than the stock unit.
                            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

You can get the exact seat cover from Pit Replica

You might consider two long megaphones with more rise than stock. I wonder how that will look

Does the 1100 triple have wide enough spacing to get the modern front wheel and brakes in? Because I will swap my Katana triple out if it works

I think I have a spare guage set, but it may have the 85mph speedo
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                              X