No announcement yet.

It has begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be sure whatever guage cluster you loomat has the 140 speedo...that was stock..unless that doesnt really matter to you.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
      Be sure whatever guage cluster you loomat has the 140 speedo...that was stock..unless that doesnt really matter to you.
      On this bike it doesn't really matter but the other one it does. The other bike I want to do all 100% original. I will probably just be collecting the pieces that are needed this year. As I am in the same boat as alot of others . The Road Kill build is going to be built mainly with the parts that I already have so a minimal amount of money spent on the project will be my goal. Only on necessities, paint ,gaskets, o-rings, chains and sprockets ,tires ect. If I have it and can adapt it, it will be used.
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Go get at that beast Harry...I am watching and checking in. Looks good so far.
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I have some good cases and tachs..just missing the speedos. If theres anything I can do, let me know. maybe if you find a speedo I can throw the best of what I have and build ya a set. Youll have to repaint the letterings for the indicators, but thats just cosmetic stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
            You can get the exact seat cover from Pit Replica

You might consider two long megaphones with more rise than stock. I wonder how that will look

Does the 1100 triple have wide enough spacing to get the modern front wheel and brakes in? Because I will swap my Katana triple out if it works

I think I have a spare guage set, but it may have the 85mph speedo
            I have been watching e-bay and have seen a few busa exhaust systems go for cheap money, and they have the up swept look that I am looking for I think. I have already seen the seat cover from pit replica, didn't realize it was coming from china . Ad say's mid february for delivery, and yes the 1100Gk triple is wide enough , it is actually wider than the Bandit and the ZX6 triples, so that would be a yes on the modern front wheel and brakes. May have to get some different wheel bearings as the newer wheels [bikes] have larger axles. All depending on what I end up using. Like I stated earlier, Big azz pile of parts and we'll see what transpires.I have a few different gauge sets and have access to a set from a Gsxr with electronic tach, not sure as of yet .
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              I have some good cases and tachs..just missing the speedos. If theres anything I can do, let me know. maybe if you find a speedo I can throw the best of what I have and build ya a set. Youll have to repaint the letterings for the indicators, but thats just cosmetic stuff.
              Thanks Chuck, I may take you up on that offer. Not sure yet. I have some options for this build, and the other Skunk has a set of gauges on it, not sure of the condition though. Although that bike has been stored under cover in a dry basement since 88' over all looks really good . Some one replaced the tank from the original black with the white stripe , to a Blue one off a 78 c model so it is the right tank just the wrong color. I does have the indent on the sides. I will need to source some side covers, as I only have 2 and they are not a set.
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

The two tone European Blue is how I am gonna paint the second C model i have...someday when i win the lottery and can afford to start the redo.

Comment

Do you mean these colors;
                  Last edited by hjfisk; 02-26-2013, 09:07 PM.
                  1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                    Does the trip meter knob look correct on these gauges?
                    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

yes on the colors and yes on the knob.

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                        That blue is the stock American colors

The European one is light blue body
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Ok so it has been awhile since I posted on this build. I have got a few things done , so I am making progress, just not a full bore build.
                          So as of now I have cut the rear foot pegs and frame section from the frame. [ I know it was difficult to bring myself to do this but for what I am looking to build it must be done] and cleaned it all up.And then I have pre fit my 600 Bandit swing arm;

I have welded on the rear shock mounts, so I can keep the original look but still be able to run the larger better rubber, I will be running a 170-180 rear tire. When I made the shock mounts I raised them some so I could retain some of the ground clearance which you loose with this conversion. I set it up with the Bandit rear brake assembly and am converting to a 530 chain. I am going to have to get a off set front sprocket, but I also took a spare rear carrier and chucked it up in the lathe and shaved it down 3/16 " where the sprocket mounts.. I have removed the original foot rests and have a set of rearsets off a ZX6 that I have made up plug mounts , so I can bore the frame and weld them into the frame. I am not keen on tab mounted rear sets.

I have some better pics of the rear sets but need to upload them. I have not installed these into the frame as of yet. Maybe this next weekend.
                          As far as the front goes I have removed the stock front end and installed the triple tree from the 82-GK and used the front forks from the 96 Bandit. I had to do some mixing and matching of the wheel spacers , and will have to have a longer axle made as this one is about 1/2 " to short. It goes in and everything tightens up ok for mock up but not actual use.

oh and I have the brakes on and bleed and the handle bars are on along with a adjustable lever clutch handle.
                          well that is my up date I'll try and be a little more frequent on my updates.
                          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

OK a few better pics of the rear sets and swing arm work

And the shock mounts , raised a bit to salvge some ground clearance;

This is all mock up obviously . So there is still alot of work to do to individual items, clean up sanding , removing bracket's that are not needed. Also need to make/ adapt some passenger pegs . Once I have a more clear plan of attack . I will then break the bike back down to do the pretty stuff. I am still thinking stock [Skunk] paint with white wheels .
                            Last edited by hjfisk; 02-26-2013, 09:02 AM.
                            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

Well a little update, I haven't done a whole lot , but I have made some progress. Since my last post, I have had Dana[ Oldpara] make me a custom front axle as the one that came on the Bandit front end was to short to work with the Gk triple tree's it was 3/4 of an inch to short all together, plus it needed to be able to thread into the lower fork tube . So now I have the front end on the bike , got the calipers all shimmed to fit the wider stance . I had to make a custom fork brace as the width is odd. So it has been alot of custom work putting this together. I also have gotten the ZX6 rear sets mounted, I made threaded slug inserts and bored into the frame and welded them into place where I wanted them to be positioned. I also have the rear brake up and working just waiting on pads. Also have an extra large parts order that I am waiting for. I ordered Racetech 1.0 springs, and Racetech emulators for the front, new seals and dust caps for the forks. New brake pads front and rear, stainless brake lines front and rear, complete gasket set, won a set of side covers on ebay, got a set of gauges on e-bay, got my duel Busa exhaust , just waiting for my 2" mandrel bends so that I can complete the custom exhaust . So progress is being made just not in leaps and bounds. Oh and I ordered the stripe kit this evening so i can now send the body work out for paint. I try and post some up dated pics in a day or two.
                              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

OK as promised some pics of the progress;

A head on of the fork brace and the 41mm front end, with the SV front fender;
                                another of the fork brace. I still need to finish sanding and polishing the brace.
                                now a couple of the rear set mounts;
                                ;
                                ;
                                I welded the threaded plug into the frame , then I only had to ad 1 frame tab for the rear sets;
                                ;
                                And 1 of the exhaust cans I am going to be running;
                                ;
                                ;
                                well I'll try and keep up posting better.
                                1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

Working...
                                X