1980 GS550L rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS550L rebuild

So I decided to go ahead with my winter rebuild, as discussed in this thread:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200768

Here is my bike before I started:

And here is the bike now:

So all of the parts are in labeled freezer bags, and I am going through them one at at time, cleaning, repairing, assessing.

I have not decided what all I am going to paint yet. Definitely the frame and related parts I am painting myself.

I may send the tank, side covers and fenders to be painted.

My plan is to have all reconditioning done by the end of March, and start reassembly on the first weekend in April.

This is a project with my 19 year old son, and it's been a great experience so far.

I do have a question already. I'm making a list of parts to replace, and trying to contain costs. One of my decision points is the sprockets and chain.

I am a new rider, and I am not going to put thousands of miles on the bike this year. If I can get by reusing the current sprockets and chain, I can redirect the $$ to other work. At the bottom of this post are the pictures of the sprockets and chain.

The bike has about 16,000 miles on it. The chain says it's an RK 50SHO. Would that be the original chain? I have no idea whether the PO changed the chain, or how many miles are on the chain. From what I've read about sprocket wear, the sprockets start to look pointy when they are worn, and these don't look that way to me.

I also read that with the chain on the rear sprocket, the play in the chain should be less than 1/4". I measured it to be 3/16", as this video shows. Note that I mistakenly said 3/8" in the video, but I confirmed it is 3/16th.

Video of chain

Here's the other pix:

Front sprocket:

Rear sprocket:

And here is a picture of the chain:

Comment

IMO you can defer chain and sprocket replacements for a while based on your pics. Looks like a non-sealed chain: I think OEM chains were O-ring. Don't expect that to last too long. Plan for one year unless you start putting a lot of miles on.

Comment

If there are any tight links in that chain just get another one. I would use your sprockets.
        If you need any carb parts I have a full set of 550 carbs.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks mike_of_bbg and chef1366.

None of the links seem tight. The chain seems to move freely.

Unless someone chimes in with a contrary opinion, I think I'll keep the chain and sprockets for now, and plan to replace them at the end of the year.

Glen

Comment

Put the chain straight, then turn it on its side, (like a skipping rope) and see how far the chain bends (like a smile) if theres a lot of play, get a new one.

Comment

Thanks Phil. I'll do that this weekend and see how they look.

I'm wondering whether I need to do anything with my carbs. This past summer I did a complete tear down, dip, and cleaning. When I took them off the bike for the tear down, they were in excellent running condition.

Prior to tear down, I removed the gas tank and ran the engine until the carbs were dry. I'm planning to polish them, but do I need to do any other internal cleaning before reassembly? or should they just work fine? They won't have run for about 5 months when I put the bike back together.

Glen

Comment

When you ran them dry did you at least run Stabil through them since you won't really get all the fuel out of those tiny passages?
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

No, I didn't think to check on whether I should do anything when I disassembled.

Does that mean I need to do a cleaning again?

Glen

Comment

You might but you won't know until you try to start it up and it doesn't run right. If you are taking them apart to polish/paint then it might just be the best time to do so. Orings are fairly inexpensive from www.cycleorings.com and it only takes a few days.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Will the O-rings be ruined and need to be replaced? I did buy them from cycle orings back in the summer when I disassembled, dipped and cleaned them. Can I just clean them up if I need to re-clean the carbs?

Comment

You can just be careful taking them back off. Although mine had been replaced two years earlier last year, I bought another set just in case I messed some up.

I needed them.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

I am making good progress. I've evaluated/cleaned/restored almost all individual components from the bike, have an organized box of screws I need to replace, a box of parts that need polish or painting.

I've degreased and cleaned all of the smaller frame components (swing arm, stands, etc) and am down to the larger frame, wheels and fenders.

After that I tackle cleaning the engine, and then it's on to paining.

Fork springs have been ordered and I'll change them this weekend.

I am evaluating my ignition module, and trying to decide if it is ok to keep. Here are some pics:

2 questions about it:

1) does this look like the stock module that would have come with the bike?
                          2) Are the cracks on the back a concern?

Prior to disassembly, the bike was running fine, at least as fine as a motorcycle noob could evaluate. It didn't miss or hesitate, and seemed strong.

Do the cracks indicate that trouble is coming, and I should consider replacing? Or if it is running fine, leave it in?

Finally, does anyone know of a source for a replacement front rotor? The sites I've checked with parts fiches show it is obsolete, and don't offer an alternative. Mine seems to have slightly too much runout, although without a dial gauge I am not sure.

When I would spin the front wheel with it off the ground, I heard a quiet scraping sound once in every rotation. I didn't pulse or vibrate on braking. Is this normal?

Glen

Comment

The igniter: if it were mine, and if it worked fine before, I would try to seal it up somehow and put it back on on the bike. But others may disagree and say since there's evidence of physical damage, why take the chance? Guess it depends on your own repair philosophy and parts budget.

The rotor: You may go out and get a dial gauge if you're not sure. To measure is to know, right? They're not too expensive, probably less than the cost of a replacement rotor. If you didn't feel anything while braking, it's probably fine. Brake pads will always drag ever so slightly against the rotor when the brakes are not engaged. Could the sound have been coming from the wheel bearings or speedo hub?
                            Last edited by eil; 02-04-2013, 04:15 PM.
                            Charles
                            --
                            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by glenwill View Post
                              1) does this look like the stock module that would have come with the bike?
                              Yes. The printed number matches the Suzuki OEM part number, too.

Originally posted by glenwill View Post
                              2) Are the cracks on the back a concern?

Prior to disassembly, the bike was running fine, at least as fine as a motorcycle noob could evaluate. It didn't miss or hesitate, and seemed strong.

Do the cracks indicate that trouble is coming, and I should consider replacing? Or if it is running fine, leave it in?
                              Hmmmm....

Well not having opened one it's tough to say. Not sure if that crack would be a water infiltration risk or not. I'd definitely seal it before re-installing it.

My 82 came with an igniter that would also start the bike, run smoothly and without hesitation. However, it would also stop sparking altogether after about 30 minutes of running because it overheated, until it could cool back down. I have no reason to think yours is in that shape, I'm just pointing out there there are other failure modes for igniters other than works/doesn't. But I see no reason not to give it a go.

Comment

Working...
                              X