No announcement yet.

84' GSX400 Back to life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

few hours later...the fork is in place, still need to fill with oil and tighten all the bolts.

Comment

Finally, after many months and fairly slow progress the bike is back on two wheels.
      I filled the forks,tightenend all the bolts and installed the front wheel (had a small issue with the dust seal, but it's all good now)

Next Episodes - "The Engine"

Good night
      Last edited by Guest; 09-17-2013, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Looking good Eran!

For what it's worth, I love those style wheels. I looked for them here in the U.S., and couldn't find them at all.

Comment

Thanks,
          I got another set from the parts bike, if your still interested.

Comment

Haha.....I couldn't afford the shipping.....

Besides, they wouldn't be an upgrade to my current wheels. But they sure do look nice.

Comment

Looks cool!

Stripped tank is nice!

Comment

More Details

Calliper installed

Started locating things on the bar, just to see how it looks and what works best,i got another handlebar - wider and lower and i'm conflicting which one to use.

The issue of electrics is a big concern for me, not so much from lack of knowledge but more from the desire to simplify the system, make it reliable and keep it "Neat and concealed"
                so i'm trying to plan how to mount the components in the limited space i have under the seat pan.

Comment

Moving on to the engine, it started and ran at idle before i got the bike,so i know it's more or less ok. but still i want to take a look inside,de-carbon the head and pistons,put some fresh gaskets and generally make sure everything is in place.
                  My main concern is the timing, there are deep scores on all of the black tensioners and even inside the head cover.
                  Do i need to split the cases for changing the the timing chain?

Head looks ok i think, dirty but no visible damage.

Cylinders also look good, no gauges or scratches

Pistons are dirty but not heavily, the piston has 0.5 on the top,i guess it was oversized at some point.

Comment

Mate I'm lovin' the progress!

My opinion... lower/wider 'bars will potentially give you a bit more control, but just my preference...

I'd also look at mounting the R/R under the electrics tray to make sure it has lots of air flow.
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Looking at those pistons there has definitely been some contact with the valves.

Either the timing was that far off or it was way over-reved.
                      Stephen.
                      1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                      GS twin wiki

Comment

Just few little things iv'e done today
                        Was able to extract a broken bolt, it's one of the 2 holding the starter in place

Stator cover had ugly deep scratches (no cracks) so i filled them with JB weld

I also have this bars, which one is better\nicer looking?

Comment

Good stuff Eran, I like the low/wide 'bars myself...
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

lot's of stuff arrived today, now i just need some free time to put it on

Comment

Going on with assembly

New clutch plates about to go for a dip

Few hours later...assembled (new springs too)

Rebuilding the carbs, although i didnt "shine" the outside - i gave it a very good clean inside and out and made sure all the passages are open and clean, replaced the gasket,the rubber plug and all o-rings.

I'm having a bit of a problem locating this part, i belive it's a part of the choke mechanizm but didn't take any "before" pics.

Comment

Figured out the part

Comment

Working...
                                X