No announcement yet.

GS850 Brat Tracker Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry super slack with this build recently... will update when I get the chance..

Comment

Well come on hurry up then slacker

I'm guessing you'll miss the 6th September ride then?
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Any updates? I like the bike you are modeling yours after!

Comment

ok folks so i haven't been around for a while .... and here is the final push to get this thing on the road before it perishes into dust from sitting there.

Got some new main jets and pilots to day in the mail . Was having major issues with lean running and with the pods and open exhaust...well that didn't help.
          So I am off to insert those and see if it makes any difference .
          It should as I am currently running 130 mains and 42.5 pilots
          Replacing with 160 mains and 55 pilots....crazy i know...but appartently it works

Also having dramas with my charging system, and I'm not that clued up on it so it might take time.
          I run an antigravity battery (lithium iron) LiPo4fe
          Im not quite sure why its discharging..... not certain the charging system is the right one on the bike for this ... i run new stator and a modded Rectifier (by Duane) plus a Dyna S.....all things should be equal.

IMG_6066.jpg

Comment

ok folks so i haven't been around for a while .... and here is the final push to get this thing on the road before it perishes into dust from sitting there.

Got some new main jets and pilots to day in the mail . Was having major issues with lean running and with the pods and open exhaust...well that didn't help.
            So I am off to insert those and see if it makes any difference .
            It should as I am currently running 130 mains and 42.5 pilotsIMG_6068.jpg
            Replacing with 160 mains and 55 pilots....crazy i know...but appartently it works

Also having dramas with my charging system, and I'm not that clued up on it so it might take time.
            I run an antigravity battery (lithium iron) LiPo4fe
            Im not quite sure why its discharging..... not certain the charging system is the right one on the bike for this ... i run new stator and a modded Rectifier (by Duane) plus a Dyna S.....all things should be equal.

IMG_6066.jpg

Comment

Just found out I have a fried R/R ....and Stator ....and battery .....

Comment

Good to see you posting again Simon! I haven't logged in for quite a while either... get on to Precision Performance Motorcycle Parts http://www.motorcycle-parts.com.au/ for a new stator and while you can get an R/R from them, I would contact a Polaris dealer and track down an SH-775 instead for ease of mind. I don't have the part number handy but a search on here should get that for you. Last I looked into it it's now cheaper to get one here than from the US with the exchange rate the way it is. Especially since all the postage prices have gone up as well.

Funnily enough I compared prices for genuine parts for some Kat bits the other day... Mick Hone in Victoria is cheaper than Boulevard Suzuki in Florida... and the postage costs are way cheaper... that's great news for us!!

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Pete
                  onto it now.
                  much appreciated!

Comment

Partzilla still had the best deal

$125 Aus to my door

local dealers wanted 150-160 without postage

Now just to order my Stator

Comment

Ouch! Interesting... the difference was a bit more when I got mine but going by that it seems the stealers here just put their prices up to still exceed the US prices... and then whinge because we keep buying parts online from overseas

The stator will definitely be better locally though, there was absolutely no difference including shipping when I got mine from PPMP, so in theory now it should be cheaper, and that is a particularly good mob to support too. They don't exist to rip us off, they exist to service our industry because it's their passion.

Be good to see her done and on the road!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                        Be good to see her done and on the road!!
                        ITs a miracle but i finally got her registered today!
                        I had to rebuild the electrical ; are battery , stator , rectifier..... anyway all works

Pete I took your advice and went and saw Michael at Transac and got a custom exhaust made....looks sweet , but now she is very quiet ....

Tuning the carbs on the road now and seeing what jetting works best... Start with a sync i think...

Comment

Great news Simon! Glad to hear you got your exhaust sorted too! When he did mine he showed me there's a washer inside and a long screwdriver with a gentle nudge will open the silencer up a touch to get some more noise... not sure if yours is the same but worth an ask if it's too quiet for you. The volume on mine seems to be pretty spot on... loud enough to enjoy but not too loud to hurt the ears...

A sync is a good place to start, but an even better place would be to post some pictures of the finished product

sigpic

Comment

Well all , I found a great old wrencher willing to iron out the bugs in the GS.

I saw him today and he said he had good and bad news.

- My rebuilt carbs (bench synced by me) were well balanced when on the manometer.. he only needed to fiddle with mixture.
                            I ran a 45 Idle jet and a 130 main with the needle on top clip. This is with pods and a reverse cone exhaust.
                            - The timing was spot on . He asked me what I used to time it .... I said my eye and dumb luck... he said when the timing light went on he didn't need to change it.
                            -The thing purrs on idle now.

Bad news.... so where is that oil leak coming from ?

I originally thought leaky tappet cover or busted head gasket....nope
                            Leaking from under cylinder 2 exhaust.. and number 2 spark plug was fouled and not working.
                            stuffed rings? possibly . Piston was just pushing oil through the exhaust port
                            maybe it'll just go away haha

oh and your cam chain is stuffed.....no more adjustment on the tensioner.

other than that she's a rip snorter! woohooo.......bang!

Comment

Some pictures
                              IMG_6422.jpg

Comment

Attached Files
                                Last edited by Guest; 12-20-2015, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X