Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bowler's GSX1100E '80 Classic superbike racer

As promised in my introduction topic:
    In this topic I plan to show you guys my progress in building a classic superbike racer out of my GSX1100E. I traded the GSX for a Honda VF750F I had for a few years.

The goal is to turn it into a racer while keeping the original looks intact. I hope that one day I get to race it in the german classic superbike competition, so I'm bound to a few rules.

I had already collected a few parts for my up and coming project. Managed to get my hands on a Ducati Paso for parts. I kept the front forks, which are Marzocchi M1R's and the Brembo brakes.

I also found a set op EPM racing wheels, so I will be using them to

Surprisingly, the rear wheel fitted into the aluminium swingarm without any issues

A roommate had a 1990 GSXR equal length Kerker exhaust lying around, so we jokingly fitted it and suprisingly, this also fitted!

I also mounted golden superbike bars. Next up are problably the carbs. The rubbers from the airbox are to hard to mount, so I'll be ordering K&N pod filters, in combination with a Dynojet kit
    -Yamaha SR500 '79
    -Yamaha XT600Z Ténéré '90
    -Suzuki GSX1100ET '80

Welcome , and well done , I really like the way you are going on this project, Brian

Comment

Project bike

Great looking start!

Comment

Subscribed! This is/will be a very nicely done ET!
        2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
        1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
        2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
        s)

Comment

Nice!

Nice!!!
          And Welcome.
          G
          sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
          2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
          Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
          '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

Comment

Welcome,I really like these old girls-they are fast and flexable,thats the reason I put an EZ(like a Katana without the fairing) engine into my GS1000 frame.They can shift as well,my old department supervisor had one and with about 254 kilos of me and him(he has a BIG lad) we still did 11 KMs in 6 minutes,so tuning one should be fun and 1 front tyre will probably do you all season!,good luck and remember:-if at first it doesn't work,walk away before you take a damn great hammer to it(the mechanics mantra).Johnny

Comment

Waiting on my K&N's and the Dynojet kit, so not much to do but search for different callipers and constructing an exhaust bracket

-Yamaha SR500 '79
              -Suzuki GSX1100ET '80

Comment

Word of caution, if the EPM are magnesium it might be a good idea to get them x-rayed for cracks. Magnesium rims of this vintage have a reputation of being brittle and failing. They were good new but over the years the magnesium doesn't age well depending how they were stored. I would also be cautious about running them on the street where there are lots of pot holes and other things that encourage them to break.

They are sick though, look like 18"?

I would love to get a set of billet aluminum ones made if money was no object.

Looks like it will be a good build.
                78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                82 Kat 1000 Project
                05 CRF450x
                10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
                  Word of caution, if the EPM are magnesium it might be a good idea to get them x-rayed for cracks. Magnesium rims of this vintage have a reputation of being brittle and failing. They were good new but over the years the magnesium doesn't age well depending how they were stored. I would also be cautious about running them on the street where there are lots of pot holes and other things that encourage them to break.

They are sick though, look like 18"?

I would love to get a set of billet aluminum ones made if money was no object.

Looks like it will be a good build.
                  I know about the magnesium, and if they turn out to be, I won't be using them, but thanks for the heads up
                  Front is 19x2.5 and rear is 18x3.5

EPM (and other brands) still make them, but the price is pretty steep...

Thanks, I hope so! I'll try to
                  -Yamaha SR500 '79
                  -Suzuki GSX1100ET '80

Comment

Ok, time for an update:

Recieved the K&N podfilters, but still no DynoJet kit

And the exhaust bracket is finished, just need to bend it slightly so it's flush with the exhaust.

-Yamaha SR500 '79
                    -Suzuki GSX1100ET '80

Comment

Working...
                    X