My first Suzuki 81 GS850 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first Suzuki 81 GS850 project

Hey, I brought home my first Suzuki today. Bought it from a friend of a friend for pretty cheap. So far it needs a battery, mufflers, # 3 carb drips fuel. Lots of cleaning. It has a Vetter fairing, sissy bar luggage rack and bags on it which are coming off. I'm putting it back naked stock. It needs the side cover badges put back on and some bald eagle decals removed from the side covers and top of the tank. Of course oil, filter plugs all the fluids change and so on. I have old Jap bike so I know the drill but haven't owned a Suzuki before. I'm REALLY looking forward to riding it. 75 HP baby VROOM VROOM! It came with a Clymer (I got the factory one from Cliffs site) , all the stock head light turn signal stuff to put it back naked.
    So you won't think I'm lying. I know everyone likes pictures. Body is decent , some rust in the tank I'll try to remove with electrolysis. Left sidecover has a crack. Anybody have one in that color? No holes in the seat.

Welcome--Lots of accoutrements to come off huh? She's in decent shape and you will enjoy doing your own maintenance.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

So far we have removed the fairing and bags. Restored the the headlight and turn signals. Bought a new battery. Removed ugly Live to Ride eagle decals from the sidecovers and tank. Re-installed sidecover badges. Unclogged the fuel tank vent tube. Flushed front and rear brake lines with clean fluid. Changed the drive line oil front and rear. Crankcase oil and filter. Removed the old ugly black mufflers and sturdily mounted some replacements. Disassembled and cleaned the carbs. Tightened up the carb to head boots. They were loose. Still waiting on the carb to airbox boots which should be here soon. They were unusable. Hard as a rock. Washed and cleaned the frame, head pipes, polished off some rust, touched up the frame. Chrome polishing done. It runs but still lean without the airbox installed. Still to do , replace spark plugs , synch and adjust the carbs after we get the airbox in. One thing is the front signals seem kind of dim. Grounds are good. I'll look at the sockets and clean them and see. Fuel gauge and gear position indicator work. Pretty cool options on an old bike. Most newer ones don't have that. Whaddya think?

Comment

Very interested in those mufflers you have. What type are they and how do they sound? once you get the airbox on maybe you can chime in on how it runs with the mufflers.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Just so you know, you have a rather rare find there, with the chrome trim pieces on both sides of the seat AND that highly-sought-after chrome trim on the tail piece.

The chrome trim on the tail seems to be made of "Unobtanium", so treat it VERY carefully.

Very nice job on the clean-up. Somebody recently was looking for luggage rack and back rest, if you are not going to use them why not offer them up on the parts for sale forum?

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Regarding the mufflers. A few years ago I picked up an 1977 Yamaha XS650 and the mufflers were kind of beat up. A guy on my XS650.com forum had some sportster mufflers on his XS. I picked up a pair locally from craiglist for I think $15. The kind without the crossover. I ended up getting mufflers closer to the stock style from JC Whitney. After we sawzalled those god awful black things off and spent a whole evening grinding off the excellent welds from the old ones ( such excellent welds on the ugly things but why?) we test fitted them and liked the look. So after some more elbow grease by my buddy Bill cleaning up the ends of the head pipes he made some brackets for the rear and got some clamps for the front and voila! They look good I think and sound pretty good the little we have run it. Nice burble at idle and a little rumble when you rev it. And you can get to the axle nuts without removing them. I'll try to get some video with audio so you can hear. I think this thing is looking BADASS. Can't wait to get on her and crank the throttle. Credit where credit is due, Bill has done most of the wrenching.. He's a great mechanic.
            The fairing and bags will be for sale .. they'll need some tlc like paint but the locks work I think and the keys are there. Oh and we have TWO luggage racks. One that is part of the bag set and one that can be mounted by itself I believe. It came in the box of parts.
            What makes the chrome trim stuff special? Was it an option?
            Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2013, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pumps View Post
              What makes the chrome trim stuff special? Was it an option?
              No, it was standard equipment, but relatively fragile, so easily broken.

Once broken, it just doesn't look right, so it was removed.

I just looked at the parts fiche on G&S Suzuki. The part number for the tail piece trim is 45522-45100. Retail price is $571.89, but they will sell it for $422.14.

The seat trim is not quite so bad. Each of them retails for $40.98, and sells for $30.25.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Wow, I've got my chrome piece still and it's in pretty good shape, good thing I didn't throw it out, lol. I don't like how it looked on my bike after i painted it.

Comment

Looks a helluva lot better--I like the gear indicator too.

Ed
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Accidentally left the auxiliary fuel tank petcock on and guess what ? It ran into the crankcase. Took the carbs apart and found some missing o rings on the mixture screws and various other issues on two so far and all are getting rebuild kits to be sure. Oil and filter changed. More examination necessitates the replacement of the carb boots too. Hey it's just money right? But it's got to BE right.
                    It has to be ready for our end of the month KCVJMC meeting and the show and swap May 11th. Check it out.

Last edited by Guest; 04-16-2013, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Carbs are rebuilt. New boots on both sides of the carbs. A leak though..o rings not in the kits. I THINK it is the tube that goes between the carbs,,,o rings looked oldish when putting them together. More examination is necessary to be sure that is where it is coming from. Pull the tank etc to see when there is time.

Comment

It came out pretty darn good. AND it's fast.
                        Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Looking very good!
                          Charles
                          --
                          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Very nice! I did the same to my 1100G last year! You should consider some better handle bars. Check out the Renthal 7/8s. I have them on my bike, which provide a slight lean that makes the bike look more sportier and fun! Here's some pics.
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-08-2013, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X