My 650 build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 650 build thread

Hey guys, picked up my 650 last summer and I decided to start a build thread. Here it is when I first brought it home:

I ended up picking it up for $100 from someone who had bought it but never ended up doing anything with it. I figured I would risk $100 on a non running bike since the paint was in awesome condition and it only has 14k on the clock.

Oh and if you cheat on your girlfriend make sure you park your bike indoors or else she'll smash your headlight, tail light, indicators, headlight, and sidemarkers and when I buy it I'll have to replace everything.

The bike looked like it had been dropped or hit something at one point since the rear brake pedal was bent up and the two right side headers had dents in them.

From this site I began the teardown in hopes to get it on the road this summer. Besides the lighting, I bought a new 4-2, battery, and bars. I stripped the carbs down and replaced all the O rings and it fired up. Ran fine but had some smoke out of the LH side pipe (which I had made a thread about) and various oil leaks.

At this point here's how it looked:

After that one of the bearings in the starter clutch went so I had to pull that. Then I noticed that the driveshaft seal was leaking. Needless to say with all the little oil leaks, small problems, and worry about the engine internals due to the smoke, I put about 30 miles on it before the season ran out and I parked it for the winter.

As winter got longer and the days became shorter I needed to do something with the bike. Maybe it was the countless youtube videos I watched or looking over all the great build threads in this forum but I needed to do something with the bike. I decided to break it down and almost completely go over it.

I had K&N pods off a project bike that I had bought so I decided to add a 4-1 and rejet the carbs. I pulled them apart, dipped them again since I was there and I want the bike to run perfectly this summer, and painted them up.

Since I figured the easiest way to do the gaskets I needed to do and freshen everything up I would pull the motor. Also I wanted to paint it. Since I pulled the motor and was switching over to pods I decided to relocate all the electronics and hide the wiring

I ended up making a tray underneath the seat where the battery will also go. I found one that actually fits beneath the passenger hump pretty well. I have a sealed battery on order which should be here Friday.

To clean up the rear end I got rid of the fender and I replaced the tail. I have to figure out exactly what I'm going to do with the license plate.

I ended up painting the fork lowers as well as the triple tree to clean it up. Sprayed, cleared, wetsanded, polished and they came out pretty well.

Since the wheels were off I decided to paint the inner spokes and polish out the lips. I also have new tires on order, Shinko Tourmasters, which should be here tomorrow.

Got the motor all sprayed with a semi gloss black with a few high gloss touches, which is a bit hard to tell in the picture. The needed seals will be replaced tomorrow along with a valve adjustment.

That's all for now, more updates this week as more parts roll in! Hopefully it will be on the road this weekend.

I would also like to thank hjfisk for some parts I picked up as well as all his help and advice along the way. Great guy.

Comment

This is the starts to a great looking bike. And what's up the the 'old guy', aint none of them round here. Love your work space, I could only dream of something that grand. Subscribed.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
        This is the starts to a great looking bike. And what's up the the 'old guy', aint none of them round here. Love your work space, I could only dream of something that grand. Subscribed.
        Haha that's actually my grandfather. He's going to be 90 in January, god bless him!

Lucky the house is set up with a slider in the basement so I just roll the bike down the back hill and in she goes, easy. Going back up the hill with a non running bike though, another story haha The two big work benches and wood stove add a nice touch in the winter. Maybe I'll see about a lift next.

Comment

100$? You suck!
          What amazing starting condition to do a restore. Looking very good.
          After the recently picking up a 650E in pretty nice shape I am likely headed toward a frame up job with her myself.
          BTW, I have about 300 miles on the just installed Tourmaster 230's on my 1100e and I am really getting confidant with the feel of these nicely priced tires. Of course the old tires were a bit on the old side but the lean I get with the 230's is solid. I have a set sitting here also for the 650.
          Good luck...I will be watching this bike come back together also!

Comment

Working...
          X