81 GS 750L Bobbed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Sync Fittings

Was missing some carb sync fittings so I made my own yesterday. super cheap if you have the die.

Comment

Have you gotten your running issues sorted out? still bogging? Sounds like some serious jetting issues...
      '83 GS 1100T
      The Jet

sigpic
      '95 GSXR 750w
      The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

I barrowed a Motion Pro carb sync from a friend of mine and attempted to sync the carbs and take it for another ride. Soon after messing with It I found that the consensus is that carb tool sucks, which I agree with. The fluid would never settle in the bottom tube reservoirs; it would stay more than half way up the tube with air bubble in between. I ordered a vacuum style and am awaiting them in the mail.

Comment

Just picked up on this thread. You are running pods, and straight pipes. What size are your main jets, and what size are your pilot jets? You should be at least 3-5 sizes bigger on the mains and probably a size bigger on your pilot jets from stock, to get it in the ball park.

The bike started after sitting all winter, did you drain the carbs or use a stability additive before shutting down for winter? If not, you may have to clean them again, ethanol gas breaks down in interesting ways, and sometimes does not take too long to do it.

Just a few thoughts.

V
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
            Just picked up on this thread. You are running pods, and straight pipes. What size are your main jets, and what size are your pilot jets? You should be at least 3-5 sizes bigger on the mains and probably a size bigger on your pilot jets from stock, to get it in the ball park.

The bike started after sitting all winter, did you drain the carbs or use a stability additive before shutting down for winter? If not, you may have to clean them again, ethanol gas breaks down in interesting ways, and sometimes does not take too long to do it.

Just a few thoughts.

V
            Yeah, has larger jets, can't remember what size they are but I have them written down in the garage somewhere, I had Chef clean an replace the jets in the carbs after my original set was damaged by the previous owner. The bike was torn down winter of 2014 and never ran later that fall. It did turn over and but never started or ran due to some electrical problems. It did have fuel in the carbs but I only have used non ethanol fuel (or what they call rec gas in MI) in it since the carbs were rebuilt, and yes I drained the carbs when it sat winter 2015. I spoke with a fellow member Vince (thanks!) who helped me tune my pilot jets and it seems to be running ok but still a little rich, I have do back them down another 1/4 turn or so. I believe that my petcock is leaking because it never wants to start and seems flooded after I let it sit with the tank on it overnight, but seems to be fine when a buddy (waterbottle) tank is hooked up to it. Ordering the rebuild kit today.

Comment

Be sure that the tapered seat that the O ring on the diaphragm seats against is clean and not corroded. If there is corrosion you need to remove it. I made a mandrel out of a piece of aluminum round stock, matching the taper and used Brasso as the cleaning medium, doesn't take much. I put the mandrel in a drill, with a bit of Brasso turned on the drill and worked the seat until it was free of pits and ugliness. Hasn't leaked since. Not kit needed, just a new O ring.

V
              Gustov
              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
              81 GS 1000 G
              79 GS 850 G
              81 GS 850 L
              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
              80 GS 550 L
              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
              2002 Honda 919
              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                Be sure that the tapered seat that the O ring on the diaphragm seats against is clean and not corroded. If there is corrosion you need to remove it. I made a mandrel out of a piece of aluminum round stock, matching the taper and used Brasso as the cleaning medium, doesn't take much. I put the mandrel in a drill, with a bit of Brasso turned on the drill and worked the seat until it was free of pits and ugliness. Hasn't leaked since. Not kit needed, just a new O ring.

V
                I'll have to take a look when I get home. And oops Vince I didn't realize that was you in the previous post!

Comment

Well good news. The tapered seat that the o-ring rests on was not corroded but had some residual O-ring clinging to it from where it had degraded. I used a pic to clean this off and rebuilt it-good as new. I took it for my first ride yesterday and it ran very well. I didn't run it to hard as I now its still breaking in but she pulled even and strong through the gears without hesitation. The plugs have a nice amber color, not to dark not to light.

I seem to be leaking a small amount of oil from my cam chain tensioner. I have replaced the gasket but have not rebuilt it fully. Does anyone know the O-ring size for this fix so I can just grab one from my local shop?

Also another weird thing happened that I haven't noticed before. I've never been a whiz when it comes to electrical and that's an understatement. When I turn my bar lock on, my rear tail light illuminates as if I'm pressing the brake... When the bars are turned all the way, the light does not shine, but when the key is switched over to lock, it lights up..

Comment

Tensioner rebuild with everything you should need.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowFocus603 View Post
                      http://www.bwringer.com/gs/camchaintens.html
                      Tensioner rebuild with everything you should need.
                      Nice link! Thanks!

Comment

Hey I just bought a 82 GS850GL. I was curious if the frame and hight are the same as the 750? Also do you have the bike at the stock hight? I'm wanting to bobber out my bike

Comment

Working...
                        X