Thoughts on fenders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on fenders?

I've had a nagging question for quite some time now, and I thought you all could help me out.

I recently built an electronics box to sit under my seat, however I realized that it won't fit both the battery and all the electronics, which made me think of building a second box for the rear section of the frame to house the battery. However this real estate is currently taken up by the rear fender i spent hours fabricating out of a trailer tire fender, so I'm thinking of possibly running without a rear fender. I would leave a small section coming out from under the seat for brake light/license holder mounting purposes.

Here's my concern...the PO ran the bike without a front fender and the result was me spending days cleaning gravel and road grime off of the engine. It has been my understanding that fenders are important for keeping the aforementioned crud away from where it doesn't belong, however I see so many custom bikes running without a rear fender. Are these guys cleaning their bikes after each ride to prevent build up? I guess this is along the same lines as the chain guard/no chain guard debate. Must one choose between a clean look or a clean bike/pants?

As always, I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Chances are, most riders who are not running a front fender are riding in mostly, if not entirely, dry weather conditions. Run once or twice in a good downpour and you'll appreciate a front fender! And typically, those dry conditions don't make nearly as much of a mess. What I like to do is elimi.ate a rear fender, but add a splash shield between the frame. No extra overhand, but it keeps the electronics and inner surfaces clean and safe.

Comment

i made a stainless plate to replace the rear fenders......

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thanks for the input! I'll see if I can rig up something like that as well.

Comment

Working...
        X