Newb Project!: gs1100gk....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newb Project!: gs1100gk....

Ok, kinda new to the gs world. Raised on bikes, It's been entirely too long since I said goodbye to my baby (k6 gsxr1000) and it feels awesome to finally have a bike again.

Picked this poor thing up fairly cheap, but it needs a LOT of work. since i'm a gs newb y'all will get a fair share of random questions out of me, such as my current ones....what wheel options are out there for the shaftie crowd? and (now this is honest even though I probably already know the answer) Is the rake different than on the 1100e models?

I come from a racing back ground so any weight i can save excites me, any suggestions on that are welcome(i know it's going to weigh almost as much as my ex wife regardless). And any known common issues to look out for are also welcome.

The goal for this project is a modern/classic cafe hybrid look (in my head it looks awesome). And I always love more power.

I plan on just getting the bike ridable, legal, and reliable for now, and doing the minor work throughout the summer, then stripping and painting when the snow flies.

I'll post pics as soon as I get then hosted somewhere....

welcome, Pic's? And a location in the sig would be cool. lottsa GK lovers here, I own oone now , and am going to go thru it entirely over time while riding it, soooo smooth and comfy and gives confidence while riding, and the wife loves it.

Comment

still haven't got pics hosted, slacking I know....but a little update. got the front fairing and saddle bags, and luggage rack ripped off. Exhaust had some serious issues, preplaced header bolts and welded exhaust back together. started sanding down tank, next is to get headlight mounted and turn signals, hopefully i'll have it on the road legally soon.

Comment

ok, finally got a few pics up. they do this thing way too much justice, it's much more heinous in person.

Comment

ok so it needs a bit of TLC but it doesn't really look that bad. i actually quite like that paint job, minus the fairing and panniers of course...........
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider
            Hi The Jed.

Rake? You mean the fork? The fork has bigger pipes than a regular 1100. The triple trees should be similar and be swappable.

Daniel
            i mean the angle of the fork relative to the bike ( distance between the front wheel and motor)

and the only extra support for the bags came via a section of hose clamp wrapped around the luggage rack and screwed into the bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
              ok so it needs a bit of TLC but it doesn't really look that bad. i actually quite like that paint job, minus the fairing and panniers of course...........
              you've got to see the "quality" masking that went into that paint along with the interesting blend of flake......lol

needless to say i already started sanding it down anyway

Comment

the pics are all X's for me hm

Comment

Originally posted by The Jed View Post
                  you've got to see the "quality" masking that went into that paint along with the interesting blend of flake......lol

needless to say i already started sanding it down anyway
                  ah well it looked nice in the pic anyway......what colour have you got planned for it now?
                  1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

how do I see the pic's?

Comment

holy ugly *** paint bat man!

Comment

Originally posted by The Jed View Post
                        ok, finally got a few pics up. they do this thing way too much justice, it's much more heinous in person.
                        HOLY **** MAN!!! THAT IS HIDEOUS!!! HAHA. WOW.

Glad it found a good home. It's lucky to no longer be around someone who thinks that is a good looking paint scheme.

Nice trailer btw...
                        Last edited by Guest; 04-20-2013, 05:21 PM.

Comment

5150, I have no idea why. others seem to be able to see them. they're hosted on a public forum....

Thank God somebody agrees with me on that paint! lol. The current plan is for satin army green and gloss black.

UPDATE* I'll try to get some progress pics tomorrow. got just about every ugly part stripped off the bike, started sanding down the tank, am just going to use the stock rectangle headlight for now so im building a bracket for that, need to get some wiring sorted out and a speedo cable and turn signals, and should be able to get it on the street then. this is going to be riden while i work on it throughout the summer.

Also got a dyna ignition and coils ordered today, along with some k6 GSXR 1000 clip ons with switches and grips/throttle etc.

Comment

I re-copied the pictures to show them here as the code doesn't want to work properly the right way. I kind of like the paint scheme as it's different but I'm not sure if I could do it for too long.

Green huh? That will be interesting to see

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

thanks cowboyup! and yeah, I just hope it turns out looking half a good a i envision it.

Comment

Working...
                              X