1978 GS750E frame up restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS750E frame up restore

Well finally got my new GS today. Weather not real warm so not a lot getting done today. Managed to get her up on the center stand. head light and speedo/tach off and cleaned up. Blinkers off. Almost forgot to tape and label the wires lol. Next is getting the tires and the front forks off. Just hopping I can do all this without buying a motorcycle jack. I will post pics as soon as I get them off my phone and on the computer. Also quick question. I don't have any keys for the bike. Any way I can get the seat off without any or major damage? Thanks for anything. This site has been great for info the little time I have been here.

this si the front before

Comment

front after

Comment

Did you miss this in BassCliff's mega welcome?

Comment

Originally posted by poorman468 View Post
          Next is getting the tires and the front forks off. Just hopping I can do all this without buying a motorcycle jack. ~ I don't have any keys for the bike. Any way I can get the seat off without any or major damage? Thanks for anything. This site has been great for info the little time I have been here.
          Without a jack when you take the front end off the bike will fall forward. Take the pipes off and support the frame under the engine first.
          The lock on the seat will have the key number on it, go buy yourself a replacement key on ebay or elsewhere.

And welcome to the forum!
          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
            Without a jack when you take the front end off the bike will fall forward. Take the pipes off and support the frame under the engine first.
            The lock on the seat will have the key number on it, go buy yourself a replacement key on ebay or elsewhere.

Ya I started and caught it before it fell. I'm going to have to toss those pants in the trash. I had to quit until I can swallow my heart back down.

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post

Agreed. You can use the bottle jack from your car with a 2x4 to support it; don't necessarily need a motorcycle jack.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...t_pictures.pdf
                Did you miss this in BassCliff's mega welcome?
                I'm sorry. Yes I did miss that part and for that I really do apologize. I spent so much time on the carb section that I missed that part. I'm really enjoying all the info and learning. last thing I want to do is upset.

Comment

no need to be sorry.....we are here to help....

Comment

Originally posted by poorman468 View Post
                    I'm sorry. Yes I did miss that part and for that I really do apologize. I spent so much time on the carb section that I missed that part. I'm really enjoying all the info and learning. last thing I want to do is upset.
                    You've got to do a lot worse than that to upset anyone on here Poorman. Keep reading and post your progress. Did you download the manual for your bike from BassCliiff's site?
                    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

You didn't upset me.I found putting pictures up with Photobucket or other hosting sites is way better than the way you do it is.The forum admin like it to as it takes up WAY less server space.You can put up to 10 per post to which is a big plus in my books.

Comment

Hi Poorman, looks like we have matching bikes! Mines also a 77/78 750 (in Black).

I have had the same intention as you, been at it a little while longer though.

Comment

Working...
                        X