No announcement yet.

1983 GS1100ES Street machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That compufire regulator really leaves you wondering....did i just spend that much on a R/R???

But when it arrives you understand why. Things heavy duty!!

Comment

Originally posted by Samsonite View Post
      That compufire regulator really leaves you wondering....did i just spend that much on a R/R???

But when it arrives you understand why. Things heavy duty!!
      You wont be sorry, If you look at the CF link in my signature I show how I mounted it in the stock location.

Comment

BTW, the three prong connector, does it matter which way those wires are hook up to the stator? Mine have been cut on the bike.

Checked out your thread. Thank you

Comment

BTW, the three prong connector, does it matter which way those wires are hook up to the stator? Mine have been cut on the bike.

Checked out your thread. Thank you
          no stator wires don't matter what order

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            no stator wires don't matter what order
            Alright. Thanks. Cant wait for the weekend to take the bike for a real ride

Comment

Anyone know which wire the 12v output on the R/R needs to connect to?

EDIT did some research and found it.

Bike runs awesome.
              Last edited by Guest; 05-25-2013, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Took it for its maiden voyage today. Runs smooth. Going to mess with jetting a bit more but its fairly close. Also found a nice Supertrapp muffler at the cycle yard.

Cant wait for the fairing to get here. Let me know what you guys think.

Voltage reg installed

Supertrapp mocked up

Next to the ZX

Comment

Took it for its maiden voyage today. Runs smooth. Going to mess with jetting a bit more but its fairly close. Also found a nice Supertrapp muffler at the cycle yard.

Cant wait for the fairing to get here. Let me know what you guys think.

Voltage reg installed

Supertrapp mocked up

Looks good, on the Compufire mount. Did you mount the common ground to the frame? You were asking about the red (+); for an ES/ESD I would use the stock red wire connection because the fuseboxes on these bikes are generally much better than the older style. I used on of the colts for the seat cross over.

Do a Quick Test just to insure you are in the ball park
                  Better yet measure your battery to R/R voltage drops at 5K RPM

You should also check your coil voltage, there is another member here that had an ESD with moderate miles and his improved noticeably after doing the ignition relay mod.

The ESD is a completely different harness to the ED, it was straight forward just different.

Good call on the pods, I was thinking emgo as I had not seen the Uni pods.

I have a box of 8 of these that I won't even sell to anybody.

there are various K&N equivalents out there. APE also has some.

That can looks pretty nice, are you going to use a strap around it? I prefer coming off the foot peg mount if possible.
                  Last edited by posplayr; 05-25-2013, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Looks great. You've made good progress in a short time. The supertrapp looks nice. I didn't know that they made canister type of mufflers. Im guessing you fabbed a mid pipe?
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      Looks good, on the Compufire mount. Did you mount the common ground to the frame? You were asking about the red (+); for an ES/ESD I would use the stock red wire connection because the fuseboxes on these bikes are generally much better than the older style. I used on of the colts for the seat cross over.

Do a Quick Test just to insure you are in the ball park
                      Better yet measure your battery to R/R voltage drops at 5K RPM

You should also check your coil voltage, there is another member here that had an ESD with moderate miles and his improved noticeably after doing the ignition relay mod.

The ESD is a completely different harness to the ED, it was straight forward just different.

Good call on the pods, I was thinking emgo as I had not seen the Uni pods.

I have a box of 8 of these that I won't even sell to anybody.

there are various K&N equivalents out there. APE also has some.

That can looks pretty nice, are you going to use a strap around it? I prefer coming off the foot peg mount if possible.
                      Need to buy a new multimeter as mine died on me. Yes common ground to frame. And yeah i used the stock red wire for +.

I'm not a huge fan of the mesh type filters after hearing horror stories (diesel trucks specifically) "dusting" engines. The UNI filters are excellent quality and don't lose form. Also have had better luck in wet conditions.

I had no idea supertrapp made that style can either. It has the tuning plates inside the endcap. It is a very retro/trick looking can and i couldn't pass it up for 40 bucks I havent made a midpipe just yet, its just sitting on that box on the pic. And yeah ill have to try to figure out a decent looking strap for it.

Thanks for the compliments

Comment

Looking good Samsonite. I hope you weren't running it without any exaust. You will burn some valves.

Your fairing should be there very soon. Looks like a nice place to ride!

Comment

Originally posted by redstedman View Post
                          Looking good Samsonite. I hope you weren't running it without any exaust. You will burn some valves.

Your fairing should be there very soon. Looks like a nice place to ride!

I don't believe it has any issues with just the header. It is jetted fat enough for it. If the headers tubes were only 6-12 inches that may be a concern.

Cant thank Redstedman enough, he hooked me up! Thanks again buddy

Ordered up some Renthal ultra lows for her too. Any recommendations on a sport tire for this bike? I ride a lot of canyon roads but will also take the occasional long cruise.
                          Last edited by Guest; 05-26-2013, 02:33 PM.

Comment

I mean that supertrapp did call my name but i had no clue it was for a GS......

Intuition????

(bdizon's bike in for sale section)

Comment

I appreciate all your help with this bike guys. I couldn't have gotten it together so fast without you.

A big thanks to John (redstedman) for the fairing. I really didn't think id be able to find one without some major tracking down. Great guy to deal with. Made me giddy throwing the fairing on for the first time. Thanks bud, you really helped to bring life back into this bike.

I just need to fab up some tabs for the plastics, make up a mid pipe, eventually get some good tires, and then ride the hell out of it.

Comment

Looking good, any plans on scoring a set of side covers? Also if you want a great tire for sport riding I'd go with am26s but there seems to have been a bad batch made. Lots of them are cracking. Maybe wait till that's figured out.

Comment

Working...
                                X