1983 GS1100ES Street machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by evan132 View Post
    Looking good, any plans on scoring a set of side covers? Also if you want a great tire for sport riding I'd go with am26s but there seems to have been a bad batch made. Lots of them are cracking. Maybe wait till that's figured out.
    I have the original side covers that are in decent shape, but the tabs are broken off. Just haven't fixed them yet. Thanks for the tire recommendation.

Comment

Originally posted by evan132 View Post
      Looking good, any plans on scoring a set of side covers? Also if you want a great tire for sport riding I'd go with am26s but there seems to have been a bad batch made. Lots of them are cracking. Maybe wait till that's figured out.
      For stock tires I would also go with the Avon road riders, yes the have been cracks but for priority on performance with durability these are great.

Comment

Honestly ill probably go with whatever i can get a decent deal on for a pair. Bigger name, bridgestone or dunlop most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Samsonite View Post
          Honestly ill probably go with whatever i can get a decent deal on for a pair. Bigger name, bridgestone or dunlop most likely.
          Again for performance it is common knowledge around here that the sport Desmond and road riders are the best, the rr's just last a lot longer. To the extent that after 1700 miles my back SD was square and was like steer wrestling to get into a turn. The RR last much longer.

Comment

I appreciate all your help with this bike guys. I couldn't have gotten it together so fast without you.

A big thanks to John (redstedman) for the fairing. I really didn't think id be able to find one without some major tracking down. Great guy to deal with. Made me giddy throwing the fairing on for the first time. Thanks bud, you really helped to bring life back into this bike.
            +1 for John! He got me out of a bind with a spare wiring harness he had for a 1100ES!

By the way, your bike looks great and gives me inspiration to keep moving forward with my 1100ES.

Comment

I have the original side covers that are in decent shape, but the tabs are broken off. Just haven't fixed them yet. Thanks for the tire recommendation.
              'scuse the photo quality ... here's ES tabs replaced, based on thread by Posplayr including instructions (http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ght=tab+repair)
              ... I had to include a step-up in the actual tab due to non-original seat tolerance. Gives you a visual at least (std 2-part epoxy from auto-store & 16th " AL, donated from local metal shop ...
              these tabs are going nowhere!! so best to nail the correct position first time!)

great work you've done so far! When you get the meter ... check coils as previously suggested ... a coil relay mod could be a pleasant surprise!
              ps ... big fan of the S-Trap can here!
              pps ... I went for those Renthals too AND the Avon Roadriders def get my vote.
              Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2013, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the pics ptexotik.

I got a set of shinko 712's for a good price. Got the midpipe mostly fabbed up. Needs grinding and paint yet.

Comment

47.5 pilots in and needles shimmed with 1 washer. Plug chop reads lean (yellowish color) but it feels like its close. Thinking i have an air leak. May have to replace the orings for the fuel screws. It tends to idle up when hot. Otherwise it pulls pretty good.

This bike is a blast.

Comment

Tuned a bit more and she's running awesome, a bit of popping on decel but its damn close. Whats the typical temp these should run at? Is the factory gauge accurate?

Pulls very strong and has an exhaust note that'll bring tears to your eyes. Handles beautifully even on that 20 year old rubber. Next stuff is shocks, top end oiler, and eventually break into the engine.

Comment

Nice looking plug!!! Pretty damn close on the jetting.

Was that reading from a plug chop on pump gas??

Glad to see someone knows how to do some jetting!!!!

Nice to see a plug that is not stone black rich.

Comment

Planning to support the exhaust can? rear turn signals?
                        lookin' good!

Comment

Originally posted by Wester Cooley View Post
                          Nice looking plug!!! Pretty damn close on the jetting.

Was that reading from a plug chop on pump gas??

Glad to see someone knows how to do some jetting!!!!

Nice to see a plug that is not stone black rich.
                          Thanks, yeah that's 85-87 octane, about 6000 ft alt. I've found my bikes run like crap on 91 here. Can't get non ethanol anywhere anyway.

If you look close there is a strap around the can, hard to see in the pics sorry.

I'm not a big fan of turn signals...or a bulky license plate mount for that matter. I like to see the bike without the extra appendages

Comment

Whats this beast worth???

Comment

I cant sell her!

Took a ride out by Sedalia CO. Let the Girl have a turn at driving (Yes i pulled out my phone while riding b!tch ). Also cut up an extra fender for a bit more sporty look

Comment

HA HA HA!. Now yer talking Sam. You keep that old relic. She is solid & smooth.

Comment

Working...
                                X