GS550E Carburetor.. stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550E Carburetor.. stuff

I rebuilt my 1980 GS550 E carburetors and it ran great right out of the gate. So, today after 2 weeks gone by I decided to finish the job. I synchronized them and attempted to adjust the mixture screws. There was virtually no difference in settings other than turning them in to far made it gag and die. at the original 2.5 turns up to 4 turns ... heck I could not tell the difference. after playing with it. I noticed that under a load 2.5 turns seemed to be the magic number. Also, although I put the gauges on to synchronize them, almost no adjustment was needed. They were darn close. Is this pretty typical?

If the carbs were well-synched before the tear-down and you did not mess anything up, nothing should have changed, but ... you never know.
    At least, not until you check and verify.

Mixture screws at 2.5 is not unusual. Might not run any better (or worse) as you open them up, The overall "trick" is to get them set as lean as possible and still have it run well. On your bike 2.5 turns seems to be the magic number.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
    X