Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

80 550 and 81 450...how similar are they?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 550 and 81 450...how similar are they?

Hello,

I've currently got an '80 GS 550L and have been looking at an '81 GS 450 parts bike (Specific model unknown). My L has some really nice chrome pieces and I can't bring myself to paint over that so I was looking for a bike for donor parts that I'd feel ok with painting. I could put aside the chrome pieces for now in case I want to go back to them.

I've used Mr. BikeCliff's resources on his website to try and cross reference parts, but couldn't find any part numbers in common. I was looking at things like the exhaust, rims, fenders, headlight, trees (I want to try some clip ons), forks, etc to either paint or polish. Any thoughts or perhaps someone with a 450 has some 550 parts they'd be interested in swapping.

Still looking for that Chrome cover for the 550L airbox

Cheers,

CP

apart from SOME rolling chassis parts i doubt there is much in common between the 2.
    the 550 is a 4 cylinder engine and the 450 is a twin, so nothing to do with engine,frame,electrics etc. will be similar
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thanks for the info. Perhaps I'll pass on the 450 parts and wait for some 550 stuff to come up.

Comment

Working...
      X