decisions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

decisions...

rebuilding the upper end on a spare 850 engine..30k miles on it...never heard it run, was missing the part where the shaft bolts on

my engine on the bike runs great...has some noise some days...smokes..everyday.....sometimes leaks between gear oil and crankcase oil..been ran a bit hard at times..and sometimes hard to shift or 5th gear seems to be hard to find at wot and i over rev by a bit....but all in all ok fires up an runs good everyday

i cant decide to put this spare engine that ive never heard run, or redo those seals in the trans area and upper end on my unknown mileage but running 850...has about 110 to 120 psi compression cold(wot)

its been a reliable bike...bulletproof like you guys say....ive put at least 10 to 15k miles on current engine..

i hate to do all that work an say the bottom end decides to give up...

what would you guys do...

spare

Not that i am a seasoned motorcycle rebuilder or anything, but the purpose of a spare is to be used in case you need it. Not making sure that it works should you need it seems a little wrong. I don't think anyone would keep a broken part around to use as a spare "just in case".

If you have the time and resources to get your spare motor in working order then you probably should. Even if you do nothing more than a complete invasive inspection and test to make sure that if and when the time comes your spare part will be usable. Just my opinion.

Comment

Just install it and run it, what are you out if you have already done the top end? alittle time? if you go right at it you could conceivably replace the motor in your bike in a day. As long as carbs and electrics, and exhaust are all good on the bike.
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I'd tear down the spare engine and go through it. Old engines are prone to leaking, in large part because very few people perform head torque checks as part of maintenance like the Suzuki suggests. You can often times pick up OEM gaskets on ebay for cheap so the total cost of the refresh shouldn't cost that much. In the end you will have a known good engine to install. In the meantime, ride your bike and enjoy.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
          Just install it and run it, what are you out if you have already done the top end? alittle time? if you go right at it you could conceivably replace the motor in your bike in a day. As long as carbs and electrics, and exhaust are all good on the bike.

see i have 2 sapre engines that came with this bike...one had silicone around the head...another which seemed untouched..

they both turned over freely, turned over the untouched with a starter...no odd noises etc...only thing i found odd was the jug had a bump like the cylinder wall was squeezed from the outside...honing didnt fix it...and that gear was removed on the trans...other then that it looked pretty good...all valves was black an so on...

i was just going to use my jug on my bike and the pistons on the untouched engine...i just didnt wanna do all this then something bad happen...this bike is my only transportation

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            I'd tear down the spare engine and go through it. Old engines are prone to leaking, in large part because very few people perform head torque checks as part of maintenance like the Suzuki suggests. You can often times pick up OEM gaskets on ebay for cheap so the total cost of the refresh shouldn't cost that much. In the end you will have a known good engine to install. In the meantime, ride your bike and enjoy.

ive got all new upper oem gaskets rings etc...i planned on replacing the oil seals in the secondary drive also...along with pretty well every other lower gasket

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
              ive got all new upper oem gaskets rings etc...i planned on replacing the oil seals in the secondary drive also...along with pretty well every other lower gasket
              I'd crack the cases and inspect everything inside too. Good fun and not difficult to do. Just takes some extra time.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                I'd crack the cases and inspect everything inside too. Good fun and not difficult to do. Just takes some extra time.
                i think ill do that...better to go through it, replace seals etc an ride it with no worries

Comment

I would hold out for a 1000G or preferably a 1100G 1983 or newer. The mid range punch and taller gears make them way better to ride. If I needed a motor so I could ride, I would do whatever I had to. If I needed a motor for later, it would have to be an upgrade. One of my 1000Gs has a 1983 1100G motor in it, and it is less wimpy than the other two 1000Gs. My two 850Gs are great bikes, but they just don't have any mid range power at all.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                    I would hold out for a 1000G or preferably a 1100G 1983 or newer. The mid range punch and taller gears make them way better to ride. If I needed a motor so I could ride, I would do whatever I had to. If I needed a motor for later, it would have to be an upgrade. One of my 1000Gs has a 1983 1100G motor in it, and it is less wimpy than the other two 1000Gs. My two 850Gs are great bikes, but they just don't have any mid range power at all.

had planned that but couldnt find one so i bought 200 bucks or so in gaskets and rings for my 850...im happy with the 850...even with mine as worn out i still cruise at 75 to 80 at times...it does the job fine

on the other side, i split the cases today...all i found is what seemed to be one of those square wire mesh things under the breather in the oil pan...and i do belive i dropped it in there a while back...

but everything looks flawless down there...seals even looked good

compared to mysterious hard black chunks i found in my current engine lol

Comment

i hate to do all that work an say the bottom end decides to give up...

You have more chance of falling pregnant than that happening, the GS bottom end is bullet proof in the extreme.

I agree with Ed, go through the motor and just check everything, just for your own peace of mind, button it all up with new gaskets and call it done, you will be good to go for 100 000 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post

You have more chance of falling pregnant than that happening, the GS bottom end is bullet proof in the extreme.

I agree with Ed, go through the motor and just check everything, just for your own peace of mind, button it all up with new gaskets and call it done, you will be good to go for 100 000 miles.
                        after looking at the bottom end i did relize how bomb proof it is...my current 850 has the gsxr tach/speedo...i shift it at 10k most the times...its seen 13k a few times cause i missed 5th(false netrual)...

so yea you cant spin a bearing ...what can break on these?

also should i put new timing chain in engine im redoing?

Comment

Working...
                        X