bought 2 project bikes-82 Katana and 85 EF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bought 2 project bikes-82 Katana and 85 EF

thought Id put a little blurb here about the 2 bikes I recently got.

First one is an 82 550M Katana. Its in pieces and a lot of boxes but the frame and suspension was apparently done a few yrs ago and he gave up. He also got the seat recovered but i think its the wrong seat for the bike/side fairings? Needs a lot of work and Im just learning all over again motorbikes. Heres a few pictures.

2nd bikes is a 85 GS550EF. it sorta runs for abit but still tinkering. I bought an oring kit for the carbs, so should be here next week sometime. The fairing needs some bodywork and paint, then once its running I can put it all on. Has new tires, all the electrical seems to work, so hopefully the carb kit will keep it running for more then 10 seconds. I still need a better tank and petcock so im on the look out for that so I wont have to use my fuel cell as a gravity tank It has a header and a supertrap muffler but its pretty rough looking. The previous owner abviously dropped it a few times.

I had an old 71 Suzuki T500 street bike I restored and rode for yrs then I got married and had kids then I sold It and started building and restoring cars.. Now kids are grown up and out and came across these bikes, time to go thru midlife crisis with them lol.

heres my old Titan

Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2013, 08:23 PM. Reason: changed title

I know that story well will be 50 in July and seem to be at the same point my youngest will be 22 in September so now is MY TIME!!!!!!! lol take a look at my pis have picked up 2 bikes in two years and a bunch of parts and still looking at more can never have to many Suzukis around good luck and enjoy the rebilds

Comment

im into old cars too. My Falcon should be road ready this yr then I can concentrate on the bikes. pix in my albums too

Comment

well, decided to part the 85 out and use the motor from the 85 and put in my Katana. The front 2 mounts and bottom each side bolted in like it was meant. the 2 rear mounts needed a few brackets made. I made the top rear brackets tonite, and bolted it up and made the lower ones but not finished those yet.. I will get pictures of the mounts when its day light. Heres a few pictures as it sits.

more pictures tomorrow but hopefully start it up this weekend and then finish assembly and check it all over for inspection.

Comment

Enjoy the build! I love my 550M and there's a couple of other folks here who have one. I did a complete rebuild of mine awhile back you can check out for some tips while you rebuild yours. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with. And yeah, that does not look like a stock seat from the pics. Good news is I found one on ebay for a reasonable price. It takes patience though. Theses were not popular bikes back in the day.
          1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
          2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

I would like some detailed pictures of under the seat if you have any? starter solenoid,wiring,etc.. that would help me a lot.

Comment

Here's my build thread. You'll find pics of all and more. Enjoy.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=185189
              1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
              2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

awesome, I will go thru it, thanx

Comment

well seems the 85 motor wires up easily, the connectors are all the same and even the colors, they didn't change that much in 3 yrs.
                  Hooked up all the wiring and even the 85 ignition switch (don't have a key for the Katana), put power to the bike, and it turned over easily. Tomorrow I will install the coils, put tank on, and splice in the ignitor and hopefully hear it run .

Comment

been awhile since I updated this..

the cams in the 85 EF motor were wasted. the lobes were all flat and concave, so getting replacement cams sent.. cleaned and painted the header and installed them. And I finally got my proper seat (Thanx BentRod).

Hopefully this coming weekend the cams are here and I can get it running.Its looking like a Katana now.

Comment

Working...
                    X