My first GS...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first GS...

So, I've made an introduction in the New owners section. I'm not doing much of a rebuild, but it's quite the project for a noobie like myself. I picked up this 1982 GS750E about a week ago. I dont really know much about old bikes (or motorcycles in genral) but after a great greeting from the fiolks here on GSR (special thanks to BassCliff), I've got this.
    New battery charging and Orings for the carbs ordered. After I get it running, I'll check all the other areas that WILL require maintenance. Long story short, I want to have it road worthy for the Summer. Oh, picked it up for $200. I couldn't turn down the challenge.

That's a mighty fine $200 bucks worth of great motor cycle you got yourself. Well done.

Greetings
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
      That's a mighty fine $200 bucks worth of great motor cycle you got yourself. Well done.

Greetings

Thank you Sir. I think this site is the finest find for GS owners!

Comment

Damn, that's a hell of a deal for $200! You already have pods on your bike so at least getting the carbs in and out wont be so difficult. That was the hardest part of cleaning them for me.

Speaking of pods, they don;t look too clean. Hope they are on your replacement list or at least a good cleaning if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post

Speaking of pods, they don;t look too clean. Hope they are on your replacement list or at least a good cleaning if possible.
          Yeah, I hope to clean them son. They are K&N so I hope they clean up ok.
          Not much progress as I 'm just waiting on some parts to put the carbs together. I ordered a jet kit from SixSigma and I'll keep you posted on that situation.

Heres how they looked when I took them off

Heres one of them now

Comment

Of course, photobucket really loves not applying the rotate and resize edits I performed and saved. Can't complain too much, its FREE!

Comment

I'm excited. I got my O-ring kit from Mr Barr today as well as my jet kit from 6Sigma. I've assembled three of the four carbs and have two of them on the gang plates. With any luck, I'll bench sync these by this weekend and maybe even mounted for final tune.

In case there is any interest, the 6Sigma kit is fairly simple. They gave me 8 jets total, allowing me to choose between a number of combinations. A little leaner on the 2 and 3 carbs of course because I'm running pod filters. I've got it set up with 135mb on the inside and 137.5mb on the outside. I'll let you know how this goes. I don't have any experience with any other brands, ie; Dynojet so I won't be able to offer a comparison except kit price. The kit from 6Sigma is $79.95 and the kit I priced from Dynojet was $126 if I recal correctly.

Well, it's late and I have work early. A couple pictures of my progress

Comment

Well, not much to report. I got the carbs installed the other night. Got all excited to start the bike and no dice. Wore the batter down trying to get it running with no such luck. I gave everything the once over and couldn't really find the culprit. Put the charger and figured I'd work it out in the morning. Fresh start Saturday morning and started looking into the ignition. Pulled the plugs and neither of the plugs from the right coil were sparking. I grabbed one of the coils I had sitting up in my closet from my KZ project and modified my wiring so I could plug it in. Checked spark on the two plugs coming from it and we've got spark. Things were looking good. Now it was time to put the plugs back in and hear this thing run. Uhh, not! Ok, whats the big idea here. Starting looking at the plug order and thought, if this is anything like my KZ, one of these coils should be for the 1 & 4 cyl and the other for the 2 & 3. After a quick forum search on TheGSR, my thoughts were confirmed. Did a little switch-a-roo and dance and BOOM, she fired up. The joy was short lived as I noticed oil dripping onto the exhaust. The gist of it is as follows; whomever had done work on this prior to my ownership, ruined (folded portions) the valve cover gasket and most of the bolts on the left side were loose. I placed an order from Boulevard Suzuki a few minutes ago and I should have one less problem in about a week or so.
                Cheers!

Comment

I don't want to be captain obvious, but I will be checking valve clearance prior to new gasket install.

Comment

always interesting to find out what else doesn't work as you progress. Good luck

Comment

Well guys, I'm still waiting on the cover gasket and a few other little pieces but my excitement got the best of me. I aligned the mangled gasket and tightened the cover bolts to hear it run again. Next thing I know, it sounds too good to leave sit and I'm test riding it , for the first time, around my block. I don't know if I can hold out until these parts get here.

Comment

Hey Chum, Glad to hear that things are going as well as they are for you. Hope you were pleased with the six sigma jet kit. Keep up the hard work and it will be one tight ride!

Comment

Chum do yourself a favor and replace those JIS head screws for SS allen heads, it will make life much better lol. There isn't one JIS screw on my carbs or the mounting plates, I changed out dang near every fastener on bike with SS. There are fastener kits available. The only fasteners I didn't change out are the ones that require a specific torque load. Fork clamp and swing arm bolts. Brake bolts, etc.
                          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Welcome!

Originally posted by Chum View Post
                            So, I've made an introduction in the New owners section. I'm not doing much of a rebuild, but it's quite the project for a noobie like myself. I picked up this 1982 GS750E about a week ago. I dont really know much about old bikes (or motorcycles in genral) but after a great greeting from the fiolks here on GSR (special thanks to BassCliff), I've got this.
                            New battery charging and Orings for the carbs ordered. After I get it running, I'll check all the other areas that WILL require maintenance. Long story short, I want to have it road worthy for the Summer. Oh, picked it up for $200. I couldn't turn down the challenge.

Man,

How'd I miss this intro? A 750 same year as mine...cept an "E" model.

WELCOME!

Now that's what I call a $200 bike...or should I say, what the bike shop friend/owner/mechanic called mine when I brought it to his shop.

You seem to be thrilled with this challenge to bring her back to life...and I respect that. You have all the knowledge base here in getting your bike on the road.

Ed

EDIT: So I did post on your intro: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...=209146&page=4

But it's been since June 5 since the last post.
                            Last edited by GSXR7ED; 06-20-2013, 01:24 PM.
                            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Dana,
                              So far, I am well pleased with the kit. the whole transaction went smooth and quick and as of yet I have n o complaints. As I mentioned, I can't compare it to any other offerings because I don't have experience with others.

Mrbill,
                              I did replace the slide cover screw on the carbs with allen cap screws. Where can I get one of these fastener kits you speakl of?

GSXR7ED
                              I'm pretty pumped about this find and now have something to ride this summer. I should have it safely going down the road in a week or two. Once the weather gets colder and the white stuff starts falling, I'll get deeper into the resto.

Comment

Working...
                              X