Kickstand with a GSXR wheel/fork swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kickstand with a GSXR wheel/fork swap

I've searched, but can't find the thread I vaguely remember where someone talked about having to shorten the kickstand when taking a GS from 19" front/18" rear to 17" GSXR front and rear wheels. Does anybody have an opinion on needing to do this?
    1979 GS 1000

Originally posted by jknappsax View Post
    I've searched, but can't find the thread I vaguely remember where someone talked about having to shorten the kickstand when taking a GS from 19" front/18" rear to 17" GSXR front and rear wheels. Does anybody have an opinion on needing to do this?

On my GS1100ED with 18" wheels and 1" extra shock length in the rear I never needed to, but I know on the GSXR's when going from 18" down top 17" they do.

You should be able to figure out how much the bottom of your engine in going to drop based on what tires,forks and the like. I have a spreadsheet setup or GS1100E's converting suspension that calculates drop in ground clearance, and trail changes. PM me and email address if you want a copy.

Comment

I just made the drop from 18" to 17" and it's oy too bad. However, I used a GSXR 750 front end and that dropped it about another inch. The front tire is a 120 65 17 though. So when I get a new front I'll go with the 70.

It's still not too bad but you have to be aware of where you park. I'm looking around for a shorter kick stand leg but haven't found one yet although I haven't look very hard yet.
      1979 GS850G
      2004 SV650N track bike
      2005 TT-R125 pit bike
      LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

You definitely will need to shorten it, I have the same problem on my ez with 17' wheel conversion.

Comment

You can also file the bracket that it pivots on. If you file the "stop" the stand will move further towards the front when deployed & be at a greater angle shortening effective length.

Whether you'll get enough with this method or not I don't know....
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Another idea is to bend the kickstand out a little bit in a press.

Comment

Best solution is an stock 1150 kickstand, its an inch shorter and a direct bolt in.

Comment

Here's what I cut off mine didn't want to go to short so I cut it five times till I got it right.total of about two inches removed
                sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
                1994 gsxr1100w
                1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

This is it
                  sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
                  1994 gsxr1100w
                  1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

Originally posted by akckhim View Post

This is it
                    Yep, easy fix

Comment

I appreciate all the replies!

I kind-of forgot I posted this, and just came back to check; thanks for all the replies, good ideas, and examples!
                      1979 GS 1000

Comment

Working...
                      X