All Balls Steering Stem Bearing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Balls Steering Stem Bearing Question

So today I pressed the lower portion of the bearing onto the lower tree stem and tapped in the upper and lower races as far as they will go.

Now, When I insert the lower tree, place the upper bearing, then the dust seal and then tighten on the stearing stem nut, the lower tree stem does not stick out enough to sit flush with the top of the upper tree. I'd say it goes in about half way. Also, the lower tree does hit the steering stop on the frame, however it looks like it's not up as high as it normally would be, maybe an 1/8 of an inch or so low.

Is this a problem? I figure with the two bolts holding the upper tree onto the lower tree there won't be an issue with it coming loose, however I just want to check with the experts on this.

is there a spacer on the steering stem below the bottom bearing? maybe that needs removing from the stem before installing the bearing?
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

a picture would probably help, but my guess is it should all go back like it was. Did you convert to tapered bearings?

Comment

There is no spacer under the lower bearing, and yes I did convert to the tapered bearings. Sorry for the lack of pictures, I can take some tomorrow after work. I was thinking a thinner steering stem nut might fix the problem.

Comment

i suggest not using all balls bearings they are junk, no matter what you use them on , i used them on a couple different bikes, diff locations ,and they ware out fast! cheap metal

Comment

The early 750's require the stem to be modified to fit the tapered bearings.
            Never heard of anyone having trouble with AllBalls bearings

Comment

Me either. they are in low heat, low stess areas. Agreed they are cheap Chinese bearings. I wont use Chinese bearings in my wheel bearings, etc, but I have no problem with them in my steering stem.

If you really want good bearings find out what the bearing PN's are and order American bearings.

Comment

Here's a link to the setup I currently have for the steering column. To give you an idea, if I hold the lower tree and stem in place and place the upper tree on without the steering stem nut, it fits perfectly flush. Both races are in the frame all the way, and the both the upper and lower bearings fit flush into the races, so I'm not sure how shaving the stem will influence the fit. My only thought right now is slimming down the steering stem nut, or just going back to the stock setup. I do have a friend in a machine shop, so I can get the stem milled down, but as I said, I don't see how that will help if the upper bearing is already seated completely in its race.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Comment

that looks like the wrong type of bearings to me. the bearings should have flat faces on the top and bottom. yours looks like they have a raised inner face on the larger diameter side of the bearings
                  1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I've installed at least a dozen sets of All Balls steering stem bearings (and lots more wheel bearings) and never had a problem. Until today I've never even heard of anyone having a problem.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

When buying off road toys, an allballs sticker on it is going to instantly knock the sale price down for me as every bearing needs to, or will very soon need to be replaced.

I have no experience with them on street bikes, but on ATVs and 3 wheelers they are complete junk.

I used them once as they came as extra parts with a three wheeler. within 250 kms the ass end was loose again and by 500 kms it was unrideable.

I installed the oem bearings and got over 10,000 kms out of them before selling it, and the ass-end was still tight.

Comment

Originally posted by Havoc1231 View Post
                        So today I pressed the lower portion of the bearing onto the lower tree stem and tapped in the upper and lower races as far as they will go.

Now, When I insert the lower tree, place the upper bearing, then the dust seal and then tighten on the stearing stem nut, the lower tree stem does not stick out enough to sit flush with the top of the upper tree. I'd say it goes in about half way. Also, the lower tree does hit the steering stop on the frame, however it looks like it's not up as high as it normally would be, maybe an 1/8 of an inch or so low.

Is this a problem? I figure with the two bolts holding the upper tree onto the lower tree there won't be an issue with it coming loose, however I just want to check with the experts on this.
                        In the container is a fitment sheet that gives details on modifying earlier triple clamps to allow the correct bearing /stem heights to be achieved.Luckily mines a 79 and did not require the mod otherwise I would just have stuck with original ball bearing setup

Comment

I've seen the directions for milling down the stem, however as it is right now, both the lower and upper bearings are fully inserted into their respective races, so I just don't see how milling the stem will make any difference. Now, if the lower bearing was fully seated and the upper bearing was hovering above it's race, then I would understand why this would work. I'm tempted to just go back to stock, I just don't want to screw up the fresh powder on my frame and lower tree trying to knock the new bearings and races off and out.

Comment

Working...
                          X