No announcement yet.

Boingk's GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen also showed up today, getting a regular stream of parts now so work should speed up a bit.

No pics as of yet but I'll certainly recommend the cheapo kit I got for about $50 posted. Includes screen cut to size and drilled for fitting, looks like four hardpoints on the screen and two point to mount to the bars. Instructions are rough but it looks like everything is there.

More as it happens - boingk

Comment

Tested the shocks out today, rode down the coast to see my Dad and then back.

They were okay at first but I soon needed more preload, after that they seemed pretty good. Much better than the shot originals anyway, which were only good for one thing at a time and didn't tolerate anything other than an undulation - certainly no good on bumps.

They aren't best shocks I've ever had, obviously, but certainly good for everday riding. The low price ($150 shipped) was a big bonus - turns out they're from a mob called 'JBS'*. I'd certainly recommend them to someone after a good set of inexpensive shocks with proper preload adjustment. The cartridge is prefilled with 17psi of nitrogen and can be refilled easily.

Adding this part the next day, in hidsight, they're actually pretty good. I was giving the old girl a bit of stick coming back through the twisties and she didn't put a foot out of line at all. Adding to that the rear was firm but comfortable (no sore rear or back after 360 kay / 220 miles) so I am actually quite impressed, especially (again!) for the price.

For reference I am 6'2", 90kg/220lb without gear and the bike is otherwise stock except for a rear GearSack rack.

Cheers - boingk

*Edited to reflect the fact that the shocks are JBS and not JBL as I previously wrote. They are available here on ebay or here on their home website.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-27-2013, 02:05 AM.

Comment

I have a list of items on order to remedy the annoynaces but other than that she goes along well and seems to be solid and reliable. The bits on order are:
        • Master cylinder assembly
        • Dual braided brake lines
        • Clutch springs
        • Choke cable
        • Gasket set
        • Unifilter
        They'll be fitted as they arrive, the main one being the gasket set as it will necessitate a fairly complete engine strip to install.

I'll update as I progress.

Cheers - boingk

Comment

Originally posted by boingk
          They'll be fitted as they arrive...
          Well, all the parts are here... but the bike is getting its seat recovered!

My Dad kindly offered to get the seat rebuilt for me so its down at the shop getting a full dual layer foam treatment in addition to new period-correct black vinyl and side piping.

On the upside the new parts looks good, the front brake assembly and master cylinder kit I ordered I was particularly hesitant about but now its here it actually looks very good. It even came with an additional rebuild kit and front brake light sending unit.

Cheers - boingk

Comment

Clutch springs, choke cable and Unifilter:

Does anyone have any tips for the installation of choke cable and clutch springs? Never tackled a clutch before but assume its covered on Basscliff's site.

Cheers - boingk

Comment

The new brake assembly also arrived:

- boingk

Comment

Originally posted by boingk View Post
                Does anyone have any tips for the installation of choke cable and clutch springs? Never tackled a clutch before but assume its covered on Basscliff's site.
                Both are pretty straightforward, really. My only thoughts/suggestions are:

* Do you have a new clutch cover gasket?
                * Inspect the clutch plates while you're in there (per service manual specs)
                * The bolts that go through the clutch springs have to be torqued in a certain order. (again, in the manual :P)
                Charles
                --
                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Righteo, thanks eil.

I do have the gasket, I bought a whole set as I'm planning an engine teardown and refresh... she's getting a bit weepy when pushed hard.

I don't, however, have the manual. Perhaps I'd better get one before I start. Any recommended apart from factory, or a download link even?

- boingk

Comment

Here ya go: http://www.mtsac.edu/%7Ecliff/storag...nual_HiRes.pdf
                    Charles
                    --
                    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Thanks Eil, just what I needed.

I've got the bike back now, too. She's sporting a newly padded and covered seat courtesy of my Dad, for my birthday a while back:

Seat pan has been rustproofed and painted, whole seat is properly done in dual layer padding and the period correct vinyl. Rides like a dream, especially compared to how it was before.

Cheers - boingk

Comment

ooo very nice! Seat looks great

Comment

Still here, still got her, still doing things as they arise.

No real news as yet apart from a few hundred kay and no maintenance needed. The brake reservoir is replaced and the UNI filter is installed, seems fine so far.

She's reliable and trustworthy, love having an 850 again. Really enjoying the riding!

- boingk

Comment

Originally posted by boingk View Post
                            The new brake assembly also arrived:

- boingk
                            Any idea of what the cylinder bore size is ? for dual disk right?

Comment

14mm I think mate, link to eBay here:

One Brake Master Cylinder to fit Suzuki. One Brake Master Cylinder to fit - Large Single/Dual Brake Disc System. - Save a copy of the invoice and your MC is covered for one year. Piston Bore:16mm, 5/8.

-boingk

Comment

Working...
                              X