No announcement yet.

1982 GS550 to 650 Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, the ID isn't any bigger, just the OD. I have a 4-1 for a 550 I'd like to use on the 650 project.... MAybe. Got another idea I'm thinking about too.....

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Here's the thread from Don that covers it all...

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=154723
      1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
      1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
      2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Ok, well after much more time and money than I would have liked, I finally got the new 550/673 out for it's maiden run today. After initial fire and warm up, she idles pretty good. I have a slight hanging idle that I will need to address but it's very minor. I also noticed I have one of the header junctions leaking. Or at least that's what it sounds like. I didn't have the GSXR gaskets recommended by Suzuki_Don so I had to use the smaller 550 gaskets while the larger ones are on order.

She ran real well under partial throttle but would not rev under full 2/3 to full throttle. I did go up on the main, again following Suzuki_Don's advice. But, with the new K&N's it feels like I'm still too lean. It doesn't bog but rather sputters and doesn't want to rev or make power so that tells me I'm lean I believe.

But, even at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, it still feels a lot more powerful than the 550 did. Looks like I need to order the 650G Dynojet Stage 3 kit. I think having the modified needle will be a necessity as well. Can't wait to feel her above 5K rpm and WOT!

Here's hoping that Winter doesn't get here early!
        1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
        2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Working...
        X