No announcement yet.

Oz GS1000 resto and GSX1100 cafe builds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pulled the head to see if the timing chain being off had done any damage, all seems well with the pistons. Has had rings and a hone at some point but it looks as though the guides may not have been replaced, or perhaps not installed correctly. Exhaust side guide is looking trashed, and the intake side guide is loose and the bottom bolt is rattling about.

Just wondering to myself if these things could've had anything to do with my destroyed cam bearing....debris floating about perhaps?

Nate B

Comment

so, my solution to my destroyed head is....

remove 1100

Its a shame PO didnt rebuild this motor correctly...Pistons look new and can still see the hone marks.... i think the chain guides weren't replaced even though they appear to have put a new chain in.

Have found an 1150 thats going to go in, only thing its missing is a starter motor.

just wondering if anyone knows if the 1100 pistons had the arrow on them like the 8valve 1000 pistons or if the arrow looked more like a triangle ^ type thing?

Nate B

Comment

Got the 1150
        time to make it fit

Nate B

Comment

looking good there, ill get you those rocker cover bolts tomorrow

Comment

thanks mate, do you know if its ok to just plugthe oilcooler feeds with the bolts that were being used for that purpose on the GSX? not going to block any internal oil flow?

Nate B

Comment

So i was going to buy a new starter due to the 9 tooth 10 tooth pinion gear difference, but looks like i can use the 1100 unit, swapped out the idle gear of the 1150 for the 1100 one and it all seems to spin ok, no binding.

Ive decided to soda blast the engine and im going to use the 1100 stator and cover as well as the ignition cover.

Im undecided what to do with the ignition. Keep the auto advance and find an 1150 ignition module or put the mechanical advance 1100 stuff in.

Nate B

Comment

false start on the starter, gears were binding so its not going to work. Hopefully have an 1150 starter on the way soon.

In the mean time, motor fits without much drama, couple of washers on the rear upper mount to get the spacers right and all the other mounts match up exactly.

new tank and 33 smothbores on the way soon as well

Last edited by blackhammer; 10-31-2013, 10:04 AM.

Nate B

Comment

looks like franken gsx at the moment, but paint is coming soon. Matching paint isnt required for registration here and i want to get that first before i start the frame mods etc.
                  The 33 smoothies are on with new boots after a 10h round trip to visit ozman, great to meet steve and see your wonderful collection, thanks for the other bits and pieces too. Starter also arrived thanks to Chef.

After registration it will all come apart again for sandblasting, powdercoating, 1150 vapor blasting, lots of polishing along with quite a few $$ worth of new parts, including new 750 SS spoked wheels.

Last edited by blackhammer; 11-24-2013, 05:57 AM. Reason: grammer

Nate B

Comment

happy to help, looking forward to seeing the bike completed

ozman

Comment

Good stuff Nate, having it all in one piece and registered will be an achievement in itself!
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

So....couldn't look at the flaky half painted rocker cover...so did some polishing and used a Kreem tank cleaner and sealer kit on the tank im going to use.

Then got another GS in the stable.

Then fired the 1150 up.. ran well for 3min or so. Bad fuel leak out the front of the 33s. looking into whats going on there before i can take it for a ride. Another problem is the 8 cell ballistic battery doesnt seem to have enough guts to get the bike cranking properly....which is a major disappointment.

yeh i know the filters are the crap ones....they came on one of my 1000E, just using them till the K&Ns arrive.

Nate B

Comment

I get your disappointment about the ballistic battery. I put the same one in my 1000/1085 and it just barely gets her started. I added the ignition cut switch mod so I get her cranking before I turn on the ignition, it helps greatly because of the higher compression ratio.

Ballistics advertisement is misleading, most definitely does not have the advertised 210 cranking amps!

Daryl
                          1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                          1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

The 8 cell is not meant for bikes that big.

I just picked up a 12 cell on sale for $75, it is the one recommended for the gs1100.

Comment

Yeh, its clear the 8 cell is far too small. I am more disappointed at myself for choosing the 8 cell after reading their advertising, rather than asking more questions and doing more research first.

Daryl - Is there a thread on the forums about the ignition cut switch mod? sounds like something i should do regardless of battery used.

Silver - good price for the 12 cell, don't happen to have a link do you?

Nate.

Nate B

Comment

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Read away
                                1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                                1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Working...
                                X