1978 spare change suzi Q project......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 spare change suzi Q project......

Hi guys, i haven't posted much on this forum but i just wanted to share a few pics of a bike i built for a good buddy. i build choppers for a living and these metric bikes are always the coolest in my eyes. it is a 1978 gs750 which i bought for him 3 years ago. between his spare change and my spare time we finally finished this bike last weekend and he was super stoked. i believe it turned out pretty cool. i will be building another gs750 for a buddy soon and will definately start a build thread for that one. thanks for your attention and hope you guys enjoy the pics. Lou

That looks like some real skill there. Choppers are my cup of tea but I recognize someones skill when I see it, nice job. Interesting use of the coils, did you have them chromed or did you buy them that way?
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Not my thing, really can't get my juices flowing over choppers/brats/bobbers.
      But some nice work you put in there, I do like the attention to detail.
      Looks like a good solid build, as opposed to some of the death traps you see hacked up by some amateur with a hacksaw.
      Will follow your next build with interest.

Comment

Nice, I like how all of the painted parts match.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Not my style, but beautiful and well executed. You are an artist, and that is a piece to be proud of for sure.

Comment

My sentiments exactly. Well executed. Great attention to detail.

Pretty much useless except city block to block to the bar. Definatly could not be ridden comfortably.

I'll bet you could do some fine work on a real project. Ever think of building a period modded vintage superbike? Give it a shot, you have the tallent to do more than cute choppers.

Oh, welcome to the site. There are alot of "purests" here. Not many fans of the latest "schoolboy" trends like rat rods, hardtails, or flatblack paint.

Again, you got skills.

Comment

welcome to the site. you do better quality than most attempts we see to bob/chop/rat them.
              82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
              80 gs1000s

Comment

Like many of the others, I will have to say "not my cup of tea, but apparently well-executed".

I do have a few questions and observations, though.
                1. What activates the front brake? I see no lever on the handlebar or a hose going to the caliper.
                2. What is the chrome piece on the corner of the frame below the points?
                3. What keeps the rider from sliding off the back of the seat? Apparently it's just the death-grip on the bars.
                4. There is going to be a TON of crap piled on top of the battery. Might not look as nice, but a longer fender would be good.
                5. Hope you jetted the carbs for the (cheap) pods.
                6. THANK YOU for including a muffler, instead of using straight pipes.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thank you for all the replies guys. i know alot of folks are not into cutting these vintage bikes but i love it. most of the time when i find these projects they are well beyond worth taking them back to stock or restoring. for me, giving them a new life by chopping them makes it well worth the effort. here is another gs750 i made some years ago.......

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                    That looks like some real skill there. Choppers are my cup of tea but I recognize someones skill when I see it, nice job. Interesting use of the coils, did you have them chromed or did you buy them that way?
                    i bought them that wasy. been using those harley styled chrome coils on 4 cylinders forever. i like the vintage looke they give. they make them for points ignition and cdi as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Like many of the others, I will have to say "not my cup of tea, but apparently well-executed".

I do have a few questions and observations, though.
                      1. What activates the front brake? I see no lever on the handlebar or a hose going to the caliper.
                      2. What is the chrome piece on the corner of the frame below the points?
                      3. What keeps the rider from sliding off the back of the seat? Apparently it's just the death-grip on the bars.
                      4. There is going to be a TON of crap piled on top of the battery. Might not look as nice, but a longer fender would be good.
                      5. Hope you jetted the carbs for the (cheap) pods.
                      6. THANK YOU for including a muffler, instead of using straight pipes.

we haven't installed the front master cylinder yet. it just arrived in the mail last night. the chrome piece below the points cover is the rear master cylinder
                      Last edited by Guest; 09-19-2013, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by motorlou View Post
                        thank you for all the replies guys. i know alot of folks are not into cutting these vintage bikes but i love it. most of the time when i find these projects they are well beyond worth taking them back to stock or restoring. for me, giving them a new life by chopping them makes it well worth the effort. here is another gs750 i made some years ago.......

I am kind of a purist like the others here, but that is one bike I would be proud to ride ! very cool old old old school
                        82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                        80 gs1000s

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
                          I am kind of a purist like the others here, but that is one bike I would be proud to ride ! very cool old old old school

thanks man. i do have a question for all you gs folks on here. one simular thing i noticed between the bike i just finished and the one i did a few years ago. when the bike is cold started it takes about 10 minutes to warm up before you can actually accelerate the bike, it will just want to bog down before then. on the black bike i got the carb rebuild kit and i never was able to correct that. is there any tips for those carbs? it's annoying having to sit there and wait for the bike to fully warm up. (yes i fully dipped and cleaned the carbs!)

Comment

Now that you have cleaned the carbs, it's time to adjust them.

For bikes with VM carbs (the older ones like you have just shown) and stock airbox and exhaust, the fuel screws (the ones on the bottom of the carbs) needs to be out about 1 full turn, the air screws (the ones on the sides of the carbs) need to start at about double that, or 2 turns. After warming up, adjust the air screw for best idle.
                            For those bikes with pods and freer-flowing exhaust, might need the fuel screws about 1 1/4 turns, the air screws still start at double that setting.
                            Also note that the carbs will need to be jetted properly to handle the extra air flow.

If you get a bike with the newer CV-style carbs, start with the mixture screws (the only adjustment) about 3 full turns out, then slowly adjust them in for best idle. They might end up in the 2 to 2 1/2 range, but starting with a slightly richer mixture (3 turns) will help the bike start easier and warm up quicker.

Most of my bikes can be started cold and ridden off within 30 seconds or so.

Proper starting technique also helps. Apply the "choke", use the starter (electric or kick), but do NOT use the throttle. Any change in engine speed should be done with the "choke" control.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

On mine, when I ride it every day, it starts on choke and quickly idles and runs fine. If I let it sit for a few days I have to turn the PRIME on first for a minute before choking and starting it.... or it will do what you described.
                              82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                              80 gs1000s

Comment

Working...
                              X