gs850 head shave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs850 head shave?

would it do anything good or bad to shaved the head on the 850?...on my rebuild i wanna do anything that may help with power and or fuel mileage

If you are going to have the head off anyway, have it checked for flatness. If it is not flat enough, just shave it enough to true it up.

With the overhead cams, if you shave it too much, it will affect cam timing and you will have to make other adjustments, too.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i wanna do anything that may help with power and or fuel mileage
      Drop in a 1000G motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
        Drop in a 1000G motor.
        And the shavings will be about 15lbs lighter, too.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          And the shavings will be about 15lbs lighter, too.
          have almost all gaskets for 850...

Comment

There is a fair bit of meat on the head so you can cut it aggressively from what I've read here. Doing so won't do all that much from a performance standpoint though. When rebuilding my 1000 engine I had the head and cylinder surfaced to clean up the surface corrosion, and I couldn't convince the machinist to take more than just a clean-up cut on the head. Said no good would come from it. Cost me $100 to surface both parts and bottle brush the cylinder. Not cheap.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              There is a fair bit of meat on the head so you can cut it aggressively from what I've read here. Doing so won't do all that much from a performance standpoint though. When rebuilding my 1000 engine I had the head and cylinder surfaced to clean up the surface corrosion, and I couldn't convince the machinist to take more than just a clean-up cut on the head. Said no good would come from it. Cost me $100 to surface both parts and bottle brush the cylinder. Not cheap.
              Don't know about the "meat on the head" part, but the 850 is probably the worst engine in the GS (four-cylinder) line for horspower per displacement. Not that it is a slouch, by any means, it just does not have the neck-snapping power of some of the larger (or newer) bikes. Not that it's all that bad, though, it has a decent torque curve with very adequate power down to 1500 RPM. It will also rev very happily up to (and past ) the redline, so there is no excuse for being bored.

I's say that cost was about right, too. I think I was charged about $80 to have two broken exhaust bolts removed and the head surface trued.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I just went back to the original post in this thread and was quite amused.

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
                ... i wanna do anything that may help with power and or fuel mileage
                and then noticed your signature:

I think there is at least one way to improve your fuel mileage.

So, that leads to another question (or three): what mileage are you seeing now and what would you like to see?

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

very loose engines when stock

you can remove material from the head to increase compression. It is VERY effective and you have a lot to play with, but as with every thing there is a give and take.

one engine I went very aggressive and removed 0.090" from the head surface. Yes we went into the seat material - just a little... it made over 130HP. small port 1000 head... big D port 1100 can go farther.

technically after the material is removed from the head surface = the valve is going to be in a different place than stock when lifted off of the seat. it is the edge of valves to the edge of the pocket in piston crown where the interference is. you test fit all 8 valves with machinist dye and no head gasket.. ONLY a problem if you really get aggressive and your mods.

in reality -- this mod is Not going to be problem until you start to tighten up the engine a lot

high lift and low lobe center cam timing is how make an engine "tight" -aka- valve to piston clearance @ 10~12 degrees after T.D.C. overlap . that is when both valves are partially open at the same time and the piston is up in there

.. that is when the pockets have to be correct.

I have also tightened up my engines by running without a base gasket..

to do that you have to really measure for sling out, and 0.040" is the magic zero number for piston to head. valve to piston 0.060" valve to valve 0.060" those tolerances are as tight as you ever want to get for a racing 850/1000/1100 2 valve GS engine..
                  SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    I just went back to the original post in this thread and was quite amused.

and then noticed your signature:

I think there is at least one way to improve your fuel mileage.

So, that leads to another question (or three): what mileage are you seeing now and what would you like to see?

low 30mpg...never see above 35..be happy with closer to 40

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
                      low 30mpg...never see above 35..be happy with closer to 40
                      Keep both wheels on the ground and keep the speedo under 80, there will be no problems.

Just as an example, take the same basic bike, add about 75 pounds of "stuff", you will have this:

Add two people that total about 400 pounds, along with enough smaller "stuff" in the luggage to support those two people for a long weekend, and you have the recipe for disasterous mileage.

Left Glens Falls, New York on a Saturday morning, took an 850-mile loop around much of New England, returned Monday evening.

Overall mileage for the trip: 40.9 mpg.

No complaints here.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Keep both wheels on the ground and keep the speedo under 80, there will be no problems.

Just as an example, take the same basic bike, add about 75 pounds of "stuff", you will have this:

Add two people that total about 400 pounds, along with enough smaller "stuff" in the luggage to support those two people for a long weekend, and you have the recipe for disasterous mileage.

Left Glens Falls, New York on a Saturday morning, took an 850-mile loop around much of New England, returned Monday evening.

Overall mileage for the trip: 40.9 mpg.

No complaints here.

haha yea i need to stop that one wheel stuff...its so fun but no good on the bike...im sure once i return it to stock ill behave a bit better...or take the rear pegs off

i usually did around 75 or so on the highway...then again maybe a good in spec engine will do it good too

Comment

There is yet another reason to keep one wheel on the ground.

My son insisted he was not racing when this happened.

Need I say more?

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

I have a spreadsheet for calculating how much to shave off a head for any given compression ratio. PM me and I'll send it you.

JAG

Comment

Working...
                            X