GS550, basket case, Therapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550, basket case, Therapy

Do many years now I have bed wanting to build a bike but some part-time studies meant that I just didn't have the time. That all came to an end about this time last year so I bought my first GS550 (also, incidentally my first 4-cylinder bike)

The process had its ups and downs but all in, I loved it. I learned so much through the process that I called the bike Post-Doc as it represented a whole new set of studies after my doctoral thesis.
    I turned it from this

Into this

Imagine my delight when I bought this on eBay for £150, an American import with just over 5000miles on the clock.

And now a new gs550 saga begins

You do nice work- I hope your career path involves rescuing/restoring more vintage bikes!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks very much. I think that the way to enjoy something is to not have it in my career path

Comment

Day 1 got the thing basically assembled, but I just cat see myself hanging on those apes

Comment

The handlebars from my 550e and a bit of messing around with fenders got me thinking.

I've seen cruisers converted into cafés a hundred times, but never an old school scrambler.

Not exactly practical with a 4-cylinder, bit this is just for fun so what the hell.

Btw that is brand new 30year old rubber on the rear. Still with the nipples. What a waste

Comment

Challenge number 1. Figuring out how this goes together!

Sorted!

Comment

Progress.

But this is likely to be short lived. Going to have a move coming up and the new house is likely to require all my free cash and time. I can't bare the thought of selling or mothballing. So I'm going to press on until the move.

Wish me luck!

Comment

Helli coils

I think I found out the real reason why the bike got taken to pieces, when figuring out the 4-into-1 I noticed that about half of the exhaust threads were almost completely stripped. Since the motor is really low mileage I am reluctant to replace the barrels, so they are going to need go be helicoiled. Bummer.

Comment

I also realised that when I fitted my oversized rear shocks the swing arm touches the rear hangars. I had better remember to spread these a little before I paint!

Comment

Working...
                  X