It's Alive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Alive!

I purchased a nice 82 GS750T/Z 2 weeks ago, and I got her fired up today.
    She had been sitting in a garage for 9 years, and is missing a few minor things. So she is a nice project for me.
    I pulled the plugs and squirted a few ounces of oil into each cylinder, and turned it over by hand to make sure it wasn't seized, and it turned over fine.
    I had to get an igniter, and wire it to the harness as the PO had cut the wires from the signal generator.
    I finished wiring it in, and I sprayed a small bit of carb cleaner in the intake boots, and she cranked right up and ran a few seconds. Made my whole week.
    Now my next project this weekend is to go through the carbs, get them cleaned, synched, and installed back on the bike. I hope to have it running by the end of the weekend.

Welcome to the T club- Good job!
    Bad ass bike!!!!

Comment

Well done. Pics please.

Comment

I felt the same way tonight because I got to ride my new 81 gs750L for the first time. Great job and keep up the good work.

Comment

I am curious how you are going to PROPERLY clean the carbs and have the bike going by the end of the weekend.

Each carb body and float bowl needs to spend about 24 hours in "the dip". If you have one can of "dip", that's four days. However, if you splurge and get four cans, you can do them all in one day. Since you get more than one use out of a can (I have had one of my cans for over 5 years), you really don't need that many cans.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            I am curious how you are going to PROPERLY clean the carbs and have the bike going by the end of the weekend.

Each carb body and float bowl needs to spend about 24 hours in "the dip". If you have one can of "dip", that's four days. However, if you splurge and get four cans, you can do them all in one day. Since you get more than one use out of a can (I have had one of my cans for over 5 years), you really don't need that many cans.

A sonic cleaner I hope!

Comment

Working...
            X