Radical Frame Modifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radical Frame Modifications

I unfortunately had made a mistake in the past year where I am not allowed to ride my GS. I've accepted this and have decided to put this time to good use. I will have full riding privileges restored in November and I will try my best to follow the rules laid out to me. BUT this gives me 9 solid months of build to make my dream bike (of this model).
    My project build is an already modified (by me) 1980 GS550E.
    My objective is to do away with the 2 support shocks attached to the seat area and replace them with 1 mono shock connected to the swing arm and then underneath the cross bar at the end of the tank. I will then fabricate a free floating seat above the rear tire. These ideas are derived from some CX500 builds I have seen.
    This was my very first bike to own and I will never sell it but I want to be unlike anything else out there. Though this may be pretty difficult to accomplish I will cherish it forever regardless of the results to come.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the structural integrity of adding a monoshock in place of the 2 on either side of the seat?

I can't seem to attach a file so here is a link.

Thanks,
    D.

welcome to the site, many of us here have done monoshock conversions on various GS models. it is not difficult and perfectly safe if done correctly.
    The usual mod is GSXR rear ends, but there have been exceptions using other, later Suzuki suspension, and other makes as well.
    uprating the front end to better forks is a relatively easy job too, with some later Suzuki front ends being "almost" a direct bolt on.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Right on. I most definitely will be replacing the front end. Possibly something a bit more modern. I'm still learning as I go and just can't absorb the information fast enough.
      I'll look into some GSXR rear ends that might suit my liking. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by L1NGUO View Post
        I can't seem to attach a file so here is a link.
        http://i.imgur.com/5OUzwbg.jpg
        This is where I usually copy and paste the picture, but that is one seriously LARGE picture.

Please re-size it to about 800x600 so it will fit on virtually all monitors as a viewable size.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

glad to see another 550, x2 on the front, I'm considering talking to a local salvage yard for a complete reverse shock double disc setup, as far as IMGur goes, you can edit the picture size on the site itself, and there is a button when you're writing up a post that looks like a little envelope with a mountain on it that you just paste the Direct link into when it pops up, looks good though, and aside from paint scheme and some upgraded parts it looks similar to my build so far.

Comment

Possibly this will work.

Comment

Originally posted by L1NGUO View Post
              Possibly this will work.
              MUCH better, thanks.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X