GS1150 ES Makeover Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O.M.G......O.M.F.G,

I hate you so intensely right now, you have no idea.

Comment

Hey now, you Brits better leave our cheap, low-mileage vintage bike market alone! J/K. Such a beautiful bike. I'll be watching this.

Did you import it or buy it from someone who did?
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Great photos!!!

Keep going...
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by samboss260 View Post
          How, those carbies are gunked up !! Is that seafoam that has been sprayed in there?
          Not sure what's been through them. My first resto has stood idle for 10 years or so and was no where near as bad as this.

I am using Carb Cleaner spray to get the sludge out, an engine degreaser to clean the oil off, ultrasonic cleaner to get into the little bits and paint stripper to clean off the paint. They are looking pretty good under all that too.
          Richard
          sigpic
          GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
          GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
          GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
          GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
          Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
          Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
            Hey now, you Brits better leave our cheap, low-mileage vintage bike market alone! J/K. Such a beautiful bike. I'll be watching this.

Did you import it or buy it from someone who did?
            There are a couple of bike companies who do this full time. I bought from one of them DK Motorcycle Importers. They bring them in by the container load. They have a "scout" out in Denver and sell 100s of bikes here in the UK. Judging by the prices we are able to buy them for, shipping and other overheads, they must be picking them up for practically nothing. But I don't begrudge them any profit they make. It's a win win situation. They make money, we have great fun with the bikes and the best thing is these glorious bikes are saved from certain death. Some of them, if they do not sell, will be scrapped for parts but even that is a worthy cause if it keeps others on the road.

I feel like a missionary. I want to save them all!!
            Last edited by londonboards; 03-06-2014, 05:00 AM.
            Richard
            sigpic
            GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
            Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

Watching your project with interest, great commentary and phenomenal photos!
              You a pro photographer by chance?
              Curious, what camera are you using?

Comment

Great platform for a re-build looking forward to watching your progress.

Comment

Nice resto start.The slides on the later carbs seem to be a composite of some sort.Those look the same as the ones on my 85 750EF.

Comment

I'm pretty envious! Your hooked bad.......

cg
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g
                    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                      I'm pretty envious! Your hooked bad.......

cg
                      Charlie - how right you are. I found myself bidding on some eBay bike bits for a bike I didn't even have (yet)! I have a fabulous wife who buys all her clothes from the charity (thrift) stores just so I can buy motorbike bits.

Greetings
                      Richard
                      sigpic

Comment

The mirrors for the 1150es (f) are not the same as the 1000s. There are some still made that are pretty much identical to the 1150 fairing mirrors....
                        except for; the glass is not convex, they have studs instead of bolts, they come with a spacer block that is not required, and chinese.(at least the ones i got are)
                        they are on ebay periodically.
                        there are a couple in UK, here, although the seller claims NOS suzuki, (they may be, I'm not familiar with GSXR's).here,....http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-M...item2a1bf0d2b9
                        Last edited by derwood; 03-06-2014, 02:09 PM.
                        GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

derwood - thanks for that. I just purchased a set. They are cheap enough and look like they will fit straight on.

Greetings
                          Richard
                          sigpic

Comment

Carb Float Bowl Choke Delivery System Problem

I will post this is the carb section too:

Got a bit of an issue on my 1150 ES carb float bowls. My experience of these Mikuni CV carbs is that the brass choke pick up tube inserts into a hollow section of the float bowl sides. This hollow is fed with fuel from the bowl through the arrowed hole. On all my GS1100 carbs, if you spray carb cleaner down the hollow (as in the pic below) it will exit through the arrowed hole. On these carbs from my 1150 ES none of the the 4 bowls allows any cleaner to pass through to this exit hole. These carb bowls have been cleaned and put in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Before I start to exert some pressure down these hollows in an attempt to clean them out, can anyone tell me that these bowls should work just like the ones on my GS1100? Or are they blocked for a purpose? The choke mechanisms look the same in both sets of carbs and I cannot see how the choke circuit would be fed with fuel if the bottoms of these hollows are purposefully blocked.

Last edited by londonboards; 03-12-2014, 03:06 PM.
                            Richard
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                              Charlie - how right you are. I found myself bidding on some eBay bike bits for a bike I didn't even have (yet)! I have a fabulous wife who buys all her clothes from the charity (thrift) stores just so I can buy motorbike bits.

Greetings
                              I suggested my wife get a second job to help me. Good thing I my reflexes are fast
                              sigpic
                              83 GS1100g
                              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Just got the mirrors. They do not fit. Shame.
                                Richard
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X