No announcement yet.

GS1150 ES Makeover Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sparki - I think you are right. I would sure do a swapsy with you or whatever. I will take some pics of it so you can determine if it is up to scratch.

Greetings
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Who Messed With My Needles - Ooopps!

See My GS1150 Blog for bigger pics.

I took the carbs off to see what the blazes was going on:

All the bowls had a decent amount of fuel in them:

Even though little tangs bent quite a bit:

There were still within spec:

Could the needles be a problem? They are quite low in the emulsion tubes:

I took the needles out and compared them to another set of carbs I have. This is what I found:

All four needles had been assembled with the spring on top rather than under the circlip. I am putting my hand up as being responsible!! I had never taken needles out before this rebuild and they sprung apart on me so I was not able to see the order of the parts. Should have checked the workshop manual. Or had the PO assembled them like that? He just might have ......

Here is proof that the problem is solved:

Greetings
      Last edited by londonboards; 04-12-2014, 04:07 AM.
      Richard
      sigpic
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
        I am putting my hand up as being responsible!!Greetings
        it's not about blame, unless you are being paid for doing it.... well done !!!( but yeh I also blame you lol)

Comment

Very good ! Sounds like it's popping when you let off the throttle. Does that stop when it warms up?
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g
          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
            sparki - I think you are right. I would sure do a swapsy with you or whatever. I will take some pics of it so you can determine if it is up to scratch.

Greetings
            Morning - that's great news indeed m8. Of course I would be happy to pay for the postage in getting it to me - if you could send a pic or two that'd be great, and I can do the he same for you? My email is sjparkinson@gmail.com

Did you mention that you bought a few front seats or was it just the one?...

Cheers and thanks again,
            Steve

Comment

Fourth Start Attempt and Oil Gusher

Main oil pump decided to give out just as I was trying the 2 x rebuilt carbs:

GS1150ES Fourth Attempt to Start

I'll get a new pipe then.

Greetings
              Richard
              sigpic

Comment

Fifth Attempt to Start - I Think We Did It

Got the new oil pipe and now to test those pesky carbs. Let's see:

GS1150ES Fifth Attempt to Start

OK now what? Suspension seems very very bouncy and soft.

Greetings
                Richard
                sigpic

Comment

Excellent! I am so envious of that bike. Great videos.

cg
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g
                  2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Nice!

Good work.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Oh My Camshafts Cooked

Now it seems the carbs are working, I figured I would have a look at tappets and see how the cam chain was looking with my manual cam chain adjuster. I was horrified by my cams:

When I prodded the lip on this lobe, it came off:

And this one was gouged out badly:

Was this oil starvation? It was only on the right hand side of the engine that the lobes were damaged.

What does this say about the rest of the motor?

Very disappointed with this now.

Greetings
                      Richard
                      sigpic

Comment

Idling too much can ruin cams. Best to get some new web cams 0.340 and nice followers if possible.

Comment

Cheap oil and left idling on the sidestand for far too long, I'd say.
                          ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Sucks man. My condolences to your wallet.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Is it bad to have slides so black like that? I cleaned mine a day ago and they were fine. I just never seen a slide so black before. What would happen if you don't clean those slides?

Comment

Originally posted by Charmayne View Post
                                Is it bad to have slides so black like that? I cleaned mine a day ago and they were fine. I just never seen a slide so black before. What would happen if you don't clean those slides?
                                The 1150 slides and some others have a black coating on them.
                                sigpic
                                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                                -Rusty old scooter.
                                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                                X