No announcement yet.

GS1150 ES Makeover Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh ok thanks. I was just curious. but its a really nice bike.

Comment

just replace with another set of 1150 cams... either on ebay or contact Roger Upperton to see if he has anything that'll do the job... http://www.uppertonracing.com/

he does a lot of work with these engines, is a great person to talk to and will set you on the right path. it shouldn't cost big ££ to sort imo.

just as an fyi... if you do find them on ebay make sure they're not out of a german (or french??) motor as the power was restricted via cams to 100hp
      Last edited by Guest; 06-30-2014, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Do NOT change just the cams!!! You will need to replace all the rocker arms also.
        Ray.

Comment

More pictures now the cams are out:

Greetings
          Richard
          sigpic
          GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
          GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
          GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
          GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
          Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
          Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Very interesting project I look forward to seeing the completed bike,
            1981 GS1000g

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              Do NOT change just the cams!!! You will need to replace all the rocker arms also.
              Ray.
              my point was to simply replace cams with like for like opposed to replacing with far more expensive aftermarket cams... of course relevant bits need replacing also

Comment

The journal is stuffed, is the head goosed too?
                sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                  More pictures now the cams are out:

Ouch. Ah, the tender ministrations of some PO and his cheap-ass maintenance regime.
                  ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Journal Bearings and Cam Followers

Here are some pics of the journal bearings and cam followers

This journal:

came from these bearing holders which look OK:

And this journal:

came from here:

And these are the cam followers:

How do you fix goosed journal bearings and cam followers?

Greetings
                    Last edited by londonboards; 06-30-2014, 01:25 PM.
                    Richard
                    sigpic
                    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

Unless you are a machinist you don't... Do you have a good machine shop around you? If I were you I would take the head to the shop for them to evaluate.

You could look around on ebay... but being in the UK not sure how available those kind of parts are...

Comment

Well it looks like the cam journal bearing holders on the far left and right (middle pairs look OK) of the head are pretty scored up. Not sure what you can do about that as they are integral to the head. I'm thinking of taking the head off now (I also snapped a cam journal bearing top cover bolt) to see if anything can be done with it.

I don't want to spend money on this bike. I need all the funds to go into the GS1100G Resto.

So - what to do?

Greetings
                        Last edited by londonboards; 06-30-2014, 01:39 PM.
                        Richard
                        sigpic

Comment

Before you took it apart did you do a compression test?

You don't want to put money into an engine that has bigger issues...

Comment

BiomedDR - No I didn't but it ran quite well so I figure it's OK (ish):

Greetings
                            Last edited by londonboards; 07-25-2014, 05:13 PM.
                            Richard
                            sigpic

Comment

Some of the Hondas that had cam oil feed issues were reclaimed but it was only because they were still fairly new bikes and worth a few quid still. The work involved building up the cam journals and grinding to size again, and machining a recess in the head and caps to take a shell bearing. Costly work and is it worth it to pay a machine shop? If you had your own kit to do it cheaply, and if it were a rare engine, it's not a scrap head.
                              ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Can't view youtube where I'm at right now but if it ran that is good.

The bad thing is it isn't always a good indicator if an engine is worth investing in a major repair....a worn out Japanese 4 motorcycle engine will run seemingly well even with low compression. It isn't until you get on the road and give it the beans when you discover an anemic, tired engine.

64k miles isn't a gigantic amount unless it was mostly slow city miles. But the wear on the cam makes me wonder what the condition of the bottom end is.
                                Last edited by Guest; 06-30-2014, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X