No announcement yet.

GS1150 ES Makeover Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends - the GTR 1000 was notorious at one time for blocked oil feeds to the cams. A friend had one go that way, and after he turned his considerable expertise to it, the repaired engine did another 100K. That was a known fault though, and I've heard nothing similar about these GS1150 lumps, so if the wear pictured is due to razzing it in hot conditions with cheap oil, the whole thing might be knackered.
    ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

BiomedDR - that's my worry. I think I need to pass this project onto someone with deeper pockets and more engineering skills.

Greetings
      Richard
      sigpic
      GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Grimly - this bike came from the hot part of the US and the PO stuck this massive oil cooler on it:

which is twice as big as standard. You might be forgiven for thinking there were temperature problems and indeed I do wonder what the bottom end might be like. There were some rumbles which can be heard here at around 2:24 - it doesn't sound too good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SRL4Hvd2Ig
        Richard
        sigpic
        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

I had a set of brand new Webcams that developed similar damage after extended stator testing. I was doing the Series v.s. Shunt R/R comparison. Beyond the lobe dame there was cam bearing damage to the saddles. I used some 800 grit emery cloth and carefully worked the saddles. Was the paper so you don't get abrasive everywhere and wipe it out good after. The low spots will help oiling and not a concern.

Buying old cams is a crap shoot. But having old followers and a fresh cam is not good either. You need good to excellent condition followers and a new cam. Get adjustable sprockets and degree the cam in.

You will be happy when done.

Comment

You could give a company called Cylinder Head Engineering in Fareham a ring. They do / did this sort of stuff but I haven't been down there for a few years now so don't know if they're still going. They used to have a website but that's now gone (which makes me think they may not still be there) but if you google the name the company details still pop up.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

that oil cooler is about as useful as pockets in underwear
              coolers reply on air flowing through them, the fins on that one have been flatted most likely by a high preasure washer

ozman

Comment

You've got LCP right across the road from you, right next to the merc garage, take it in there and see what they say.
                sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

That clanking at 2:24 sounds more like normal clankshaft clanking when the carbs aren't dialled in right. Honestly, a bag of spanners sounds more melodious than any roller-bearing crank if it's out of tune.
                  From what I see, it's been a long time since the centre stand was on that (did it ever have one?) and it's quite possible that's a contributory factor - revving it up on the sidestand, at drunken off-base parties out in the boonies. Who knows what's been done to it...
                  Last edited by Grimly; 06-30-2014, 05:57 PM.
                  ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by ozman View Post
                    that oil cooler is about as useful as pockets in underwear
                    coolers reply on air flowing through them, the fins on that one have been flatted most likely by a high preasure washer

ozman
                    Sound like a good excuse to sit with a couple of bottles of beer and a flat head screwdriver; straighten them out. Or Not, but the beer is still good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      Sound like a good excuse to sit with a couple of bottles of beer and a flat head screwdriver; straighten them out. Or Not, but the beer is still good idea.

Looks like there is some white glue or caulking in there as well. Beer is good but in this case, a whiskey might be called for.

cg
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g
                      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                        Looks like there is some white glue or caulking in there as well. Beer is good but in this case, a whiskey might be called for.

cg
                        151 proof rum.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Exhaust Cam Condition

This is what the exhaust cam and bearings look like:

And the followers have some scoring:

This motor has been breathed on at some stage; Ape parts and high lift cams:

Greetings
                          Richard
                          sigpic

Comment

Nasty ...
                            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Serious Metal Chunks Found in Sump

With the damage I have already seen to the top end of this motor, it was suggested that I remove the sump / oil pan and see what what is there. Shocking. But with a caveat. I have checked the clutch and pistons and they are all peachy (good). In fact the pistons are hardly scored at all.

I am thinking (praying) that this might be the residue of a previous engine failure. OR where else could these chunks have come from? We are talking serious bits of metal here:

(for the whole picture set see my blog here: GS1150 Metal Chunks)

The bigger pieces (aluminium):

Smaller pieces are steel:

All of the smaller pieces have this grooving on them:

Clutch and pistons are good:

Help!!!

Greetings
                              Richard
                              sigpic

Comment

some of those steel bits look like the bottom of your liners.
                                sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Working...
                                X