GS1150 ES Makeover Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tatu View Post
    some of those steel bits look like the bottom of your liners.
    Ouch, yea

Comment

One of those pieces looks like clutch basket. The picture of your clutch basket looks as if it is new, so maybe it has been replaced?
      1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
      1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

I'm going with that. Clutch looks great now. I assumming the old clutch exploded and took out the old cylinder liners where they protrude into the crank. All have been replaced now. Just can't understand that they would not have split the cases and cleaned it all out after spending all that cash on new clutch, liners, pistons and so on.

Greetings
        Richard
        sigpic
        GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
        GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
        Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
          I'm going with that. Clutch looks great now. I assumming the old clutch exploded and took out the old cylinder liners where they protrude into the crank. All have been replaced now. Just can't understand that they would not have split the cases and cleaned it all out after spending all that cash on new clutch, liners, pistons and so on.

Greetings
          Probably was a 1230 motor due to the lack of thickness on the liners. After the clutch grenade the PO found a used stock block, pistons and clutch. I doubt if he put much $$ into it if he didn't drop the pan and split the cases to clean it out.

Comment

Laziness, there are lots of people out there who will put the minimum into something to try and recoup their money. Then they just **** other people!
            1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
            1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

But I could end up with a fresh motor. I know it has fresh pistons, rings, liners and a new clutch. As long as there is no other major damage, I just need to clean up the head and cams and bobs your uncle.

Greetings
              Richard
              sigpic
              GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
              Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

That head is JUNK! When the cam journals are KILLED like that, unless you can line bore the cam journals in the head, it is a throw away. Same with the cams & rocker arms. Sorry to see the head like that.
                Ray.

Comment

More Metal from Sump Filter

Got the sump filter off and discovered this little lot:

Bit included are parts of the piano wire retaining clip:

And this spring which I cannot place. Anyone have any ideas?

The ally bits were well rounded off, proving that they have been rattling around in this motor for some time:

No question about it now - this motor needs stripping down.
                  Richard
                  sigpic

Comment

Know I understand why you Brits can it a lump

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                      That head is JUNK! When the cam journals are KILLED like that, unless you can line bore the cam journals in the head, it is a throw away. Same with the cams & rocker arms. Sorry to see the head like that.
                      Ray.
                      A theory we talked about is that the valve springs and retainers definitely don't look stock, in your opinion, do you think that if the springs are too strong that it would lead to the kind of damage that we see on the cam lobes?
                      Also it seemed odd that the first orifice from the oil feed were the journals that were damaged, the inner journals further away from the feed are fine. Any ideas of what might be happening?
                      All that shrapnel in the last pics was inside the oil pick up only stopped by the gauze, likely restricting oil demand, but doesn't explain why the outer journals are goosed and the inner ones fine though they are on the same line, and all four are the same. The head and cylinder block/pistons all look new to me.
                      For sure someone has spent a great deal of cash on this bike at some time.
                      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

So We Are Taking the Engine Out

We decided that this motor really needs to be stripped down to check that all the metal bits that have been left in there by the PO are now out and that there is no damage to other parts of the internals. So the motor needs to come out of the frame. A much easier job to do when the head and cylinders are off:

Done (with some help).

Greetings
                        Richard
                        sigpic

Comment

And I was looking forward to another 2 hour video of the struggle of the engine removal Richard!

Two points - you need to get your daughter some safety boots for manhandling engines and get rid of that 'sold' sticker on the screen; you're in this far so looks like it's a keeper.
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer
                          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                            And I was looking forward to another 2 hour video of the struggle of the engine removal Richard!

Two points - you need to get your daughter some safety boots for manhandling engines and get rid of that 'sold' sticker on the screen; you're in this far so looks like it's a keeper.
                            I wasn't going to mention the "Health and Safety " thing, but you are getting the hang of this engine removal.

cg
                            sigpic
                            83 GS1100g
                            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Engine Strip - Preparation

So I have decided to strip the engine and find out how much damage there really is inside. In for a penny (cent) in for a pound (dollar).

See My Blog - Suzuki GS1150ES - Engine Strip Preparation lots more hi-res pics there.

So here we go. Don't forget this little nut under the sprocket:

Top bolts out first:

Pistons 1 and 4 need to come off to get the crank out:

Then get the clutch off:

Along with other parts in this motor, I have an APE clutch nut:

I got the rotor nut off with my new power impact driver

But even with the correct tool it wouldn't come off.

Greetings
                              Last edited by londonboards; 08-09-2014, 05:18 PM.
                              Richard
                              sigpic

Comment

Engine Strip - Preparation

I had a couple of problems with bolts on the cases. One got rounded off and the other snapped.

See My GS1150 Blog - Getting the Cases Apart

I rounded this bolt off completely:

I was using this socket and it was too wide and close to the casing to sit correctly on the bolt head:

And I snapped another one using my power impact driver:

Greetings
                                Last edited by londonboards; 11-04-2014, 06:00 PM.
                                Richard
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X