No announcement yet.

GS1150 ES Makeover Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm guessing it reduces drag from oil and air resistance.

But what the heck - it's beautiful.
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

i believe polishing a crank (and con rods) is used to remove imperfections, improving stress relief.
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

If I recall from my car enthusiast days, when they lighten the crank and bevel the counterweights, its called knife edging, which along with lightening it, makes it more "aerodynamic" as it spins.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
          If I recall from my car enthusiast days, when they lighten the crank and bevel the counterweights, its called knife edging, which along with lightening it, makes it more "aerodynamic" as it spins.
          This is the bottom end of one of my go fast rockets. Besides the aerodynamic aspect, knife edging is also to shed any motor oil that might land on the throws that makes it past the windage tray/crank scraper keeping the crank in balance
          and the oil where it needs to be.

Comment

very cool vids

Comment

Two Jobs at Once

I am putting in my "new" engine and at the same time working on the old "messed up" engine that I took out and stripped.

I sent the crank away to a crank man:

So the crank is away being "fixed" and I am moving on with cleaning up the crankcases and I've ordered up all the new seals, pistons pins and O rings I need for the rebuild.

I am also tapping each bolt hole. Some of them were gunked up. I don't know if they were using any Locktite substances but they are all squeeky clean now. I'm also thinking of getting some APE crankcase bolts. These cases already have APE cylinder studs but I noticed when I took it apart that the journals that hold the bearings had strange markings on them. I looked it up and it seems that this type of marking on the bearing holders is indicative of movement of the bearing in the holder. Jumping up and down causes it. See the pitting on the right hand side one near the bottom. The standard bolts can stretch and so some high tensile substitutes should put paid to that.

I love living vitually next door (they are about 500 metres away) from Robinsons Suzuki. They can get all these lovely parts in no time.

Last edited by londonboards; 11-28-2014, 05:11 PM.
              Richard
              sigpic
              GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
              Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

I just read this thread from start to finish, and I gotta say..you are incredibly dedicated to this project. Very few blogs have made me feel like I was standing right there next to you as you've experienced the trials and tribulations of getting this old girl dancing again. The videos and the pics have been excellent. I continue to look forward to your updates and wish you the best of luck getting it back on the road again.
                1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

I completely agree. You have done your project-and this forum a service through your attention to detail and the quality of your descriptions in words and photos. Cheers.
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                    I'm also thinking of getting some APE crankcase bolts. These cases already have APE cylinder studs but I noticed when I took it apart that the journals that hold the bearings had strange markings on them. I looked it up and it seems that this type of marking on the bearing holders is indicative of movement of the bearing in the holder. Jumping up and down causes it. See the pitting on the right hand side one near the bottom. The standard bolts can stretch and so some high tensile substitutes should put paid to that.

My second 1000S had/has similar marks on the cases (and bearings). Was told it's somewhat common and nothing to be overly concern about. When putting the engine together I used Loctite bearing & stud setting compound in the saddles. No clue if this had a positive affect, but the engine runs well and no funny noises.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      My second 1000S had/has similar marks on the cases (and bearings). Was told it's somewhat common and nothing to be overly concern about. When putting the engine together I used Loctite bearing & stud setting compound in the saddles. No clue if this had a positive affect, but the engine runs well and no funny noises.

you did right...
                      i always used red loctite and it would fill in the imperfections from the crank shaking(cases pushing a part).
                      when i dissembled the engine later it was there and hard as a rock.
                      oh,
                      main studs stop this for the most part

Comment

blowerbike - This motor has Ape barrel studs but I was thinking of getting Ape case bolts too.

Is that what you mean when you say "main studs".

What are they?

Greetings
                        Richard
                        sigpic

Comment

APE main studs...not bolts.
                          same as the cylinder studs but for the mains.
                          you will be plenty happy then

Comment

MBS1100SGS1100 /early 1150s$60.96
                            MBS1150SLate 1150s with both 8 and 9 ml. bolts $66.63

Comment

Crankshaft Comes Home

After about 6 weeks in hospital, the damaged crank from the old engine was returned to me.

See My Blog post: Old Crank Comes Home (lots of pics)

New big ends, one new rod and 2 new mains, rewelding and a balancing (and why not?).

I don't want to put this back in the cases now. She looks so good on my desk.

New rod and drilled throws for balancing.

and welded back together

Greetings
                              Richard
                              sigpic

Comment

OOOOOOOOOOOO! Ahhhhhhhhhh! Shiney! Your a brave man.

cg
                                sigpic
                                83 GS1100g
                                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
                                X