Not your normal GS rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not your normal GS rebuild

Started this about 4 years ago. Always wanted to build another 2 stroke triple, and found a 76' GT550 that had sat outside a loooong time, but the motor was not stuck and the price was right. Drug it home, cleaned the carbs, file the points and new plugs and what do you know, it runs! So I have a running motor, but having owned a few suzuki triples years ago, I know I want better suspension and brakes for sure. This has me thinking transplant. I have always admired the styling on the mid 80's GS/ES and started the hunt for a 750 model. After about 6 months of searching I found my donor, 83' 750ES with a bad motor but excellent bodywork. I had thought using a "bigger" 750 frame would let the 550 motor drop right in. Wrong! These Suzuki triple motors are long, so some frame mods on the front downtubes needed to be done to make it fit. Once I got the motor to fit, I tore it all down, sandblasted the frame and epoxy primed and painted it with Nason single stage. Somewhere along the line, a PO really botched up a fork rebuilt, so I went ahead and ordered all new bushings and a few other internal items that were somehow damaged. Sonic springs top it off. The rear shock was questionable so after some help from the members here I decided to use a Hagon. So far so good. I also purchased a 1100 rear wheel from the classifieds here for a little wider wheel and mounted Pirelli sport demons. painted all the bits and pieces and polished up the original bodywork/paint and reassembled. Been put back together for about 6 months now and gets looks wherever I go, but I think it's the shriek of a chambered two stroke that is causing that LOL! On to the pics.

Mark

That is fookin sweet!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I love the innovation on this one. Good job!
      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

That is one of a kind and very awesome.

Great job!

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          That is fookin sweet!
          X2, or even X3

Comment

frikkin COOL! Im asking on behalf of all lovers of 2 stroke noise.....post a video
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Amazing wow!!

Comment

Hi,

So much good here! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the compliments! Means a lot more coming from enthusiast that know the amount of work that went into it. The only thing I am not completely satisfied with are the chamber color. I am thinking of nickel plating them if I can find someone willing to deal with cleaning the pipes. While not as fast as the 750 would have been, it's a hoot when it comes on the pipe. (and there is no comparison in the braking and handling) I will see about a sound clip.

Mark

Comment

The old fuddy-duddies that preach that they ONLY run in stock condition are reaching for their heart medicine right now and cannot post. (Did you seal the airbox tight??? Vacuum sync those carbs? "It won't run right until you do." LMAO!)
                    WTG! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! Patiently waiting for that sound bite also.

Comment

Awesome build kind of reverse retomod. Great job!
                      sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
                      1994 gsxr1100w
                      1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

That is SO cool!Also a bit of a testimony to how much Suzuki(and other manufactures)had shrunk they're engines since the 70's.

Comment

Looks factory stock, well done.
                          was the 750 listed in the classifieds here. Seem to remember a similar one a yr ago.
                          1984 GS550ES
                          Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
                          4700 miles

1978 GS1000E...Resto-mod to come

Comment

love it...had a 550 triple many many moons ago...would be great to hear it

Comment

Love it way to change things up a bit!

Comment

Working...
                              X