No announcement yet.

Progress!!! 1978 GS1000E Restoration/Performance Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely fantastic build! Love the zinc plating and may look at trying it myself. Next time you're in Sevierville and fancy a beer give me a shout. I'm in Maryville.
    -1978 Suzuki GS1000EC
    DONE!!! Rebuild thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=155564
    -2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Comment

Originally posted by philosopheriam View Post
      Folks,

Frame, AMA-style bracing and custom swingarm brace, de-tabbed, a few minor tube repairs
      (Framecrafters)

What is their charge for various types of work on frames?
      I emailed them several weeks ago, about a GT750 project that I wanted some frame changes done to it. But have had no response.

Comment

Originally posted by IanC View Post
        Absolutely fantastic build! Love the zinc plating and may look at trying it myself. Next time you're in Sevierville and fancy a beer give me a shout. I'm in Maryville.
        thanks buddy - my folks retired out there and unfortunately I don't get to visit them as much as I'd like :-(
        Cogito ergo sum - "I think, therefore I am"
        René Descartes

Comment

Originally posted by busa1300 View Post
          What is their charge for various types of work on frames?
          I emailed them several weeks ago, about a GT750 project that I wanted some frame changes done to it. But have had no response.
          Randy and Karsten are good people, and sometimes they are out of town for racing events. Best way to get in touch with them is to call or stop by their shop.
          René Descartes

Comment

Forks are completely DONE! Put some MAAS cream on all of the freshly polished aluminum to protect it and make it look even more beautiful.

Specs:
            Custom-machined fork caps
            Racetech .95kg/mm springs set at 20mm of preload
            Fuchs Silkolene 10w oil set at 140mm
            New Tarozzi fork tubes
            New Racetech upper bushings (lowers are not used on this year of forks)
            New seals/piston rings/small parts/etc

Somehow I missed this post....who did the fork caps?...and no interchangeability from non-air models?

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
              Somehow I missed this post....who did the fork caps?...and no interchangeability from non-air models?
              I had a local machinist fabricate the caps for me - I explored options of other caps from non-air Suzuki forks but they didn't appear to be interchangeable.
              René Descartes

Comment

Any chance that machinist would do another set of fork caps? Me likey...
                https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
                1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

I had a local machinist fabricate the caps for me - I explored options of other caps from non-air Suzuki forks but they didn't appear to be interchangeable.
                  I've got a friend who has a machine shop off of Farnsworth, but he been kind of busy with real paying customers{lol}, maybe I can ask him to do a set ...what material did you use for those?...7000 series, 6065....?

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
                    Any chance that machinist would do another set of fork caps? Me likey...
                    It depends - this machinist was referred to me by my frame shop and he is a good guy that does excellent work, however, his pricing and motivation are mood-dependent. If you want a set made, he will insist on having the tubes you intend to use and one of the original caps. HE makes the threads a much tighter fit than original which requires the threads to be matched to the tube.
                    René Descartes

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                      I've got a friend who has a machine shop off of Farnsworth, but he been kind of busy with real paying customers{lol}, maybe I can ask him to do a set ...what material did you use for those?...7000 series, 6065....?
                      Honestly Bob, I'm not sure which grade of aluminum he used.
                      René Descartes

Comment

PROGRESS!!!! Sorry, work and the holidays have a tendency to get in the way of things. I accomplished this stuff today:

Cleaned, fixed a couple small cracks near the rear mounting holes, and filled all of the gouges/nicks/dings with Bondo plastic bumper filler. I then sanded everything down until smooth and scuffed the fender with a p800 scotch pad before painting it.

Refurbished the rear tail light - new bulbs, new rubber bits, new lens, powdercoated bracket, painted plastic housing, new SS lens screws

Painted the ignition switch cover

René Descartes

Comment

It depends - this machinist was referred to me by my frame shop and he is a good guy that does excellent work, however, his pricing and motivation are mood-dependent. If you want a set made, he will insist on having the tubes you intend to use and one of the original caps. HE makes the threads a much tighter fit than original which requires the threads to be matched to the tube.
                          Well, that rules him out for me. Don't want to send my tubes out.
                          https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
                          1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
                            Well, that rules him out for me. Don't want to send my tubes out.
                            Very few machinists will turn male threads without having the female piece with them...
                            René Descartes

Comment

Very few machinists will turn male threads without having the female piece with them...
                              As a journeyman tool and die machinist, I have to disagree. Most modern threads are made to international standards, and with the correct tooling, both male and female threads can be made without the mating part.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
                                As a journeyman tool and die machinist, I have to disagree. Most modern threads are made to international standards, and with the correct tooling, both male and female threads can be made without the mating part.
                                That's what I thought. JJ, are you equipped to make set?
                                1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Working...
                                X