GS400 rebuild in Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS400 rebuild in Australia

I saved a '79 GS400 from the scrap yard about a year ago. I'm a novice but can follow a workshop manual, so after a bit of work and help from this community I got her back on the road. The engine is tired, smokey and is basically running on one cylinder with poor compression, I've known that eventually I would need to open up the engine if she was to have any real chance of survival. So today, I tore down the whole engine. Over the next two weeks I will borrow some tools to take all the correct measurements and work out which parts need replacing, so far the only clear issue is a collapsed bearing on 6th gear.

I'm toying with the idea of buying all my parts from the US in one go (I'm in Australia), I suspect it will be cheaper than trying to get local stock. I'll obviously need a complete gasket and seal kit but since I'm elbow deep in the engine I'll do piston rings, clutch plates and usual bearings. Which website is the bees knees for buying the parts I need?

Cheers

The GS400 is a great bike, it was my first road bike in 1978 after many years of two stroke trail bikes.

Buying local or overseas can be a mixed bag from my experience. I've done both successfully.

Suzuki Australia spares are based in Melbourne and ships to dealers in capital cities overnight.

The price variation can be up to 100% on some overseas suppliers but not much difference on certain parts, so get a quote.

Obviously shipping and volume is an issue as well as the recent drop in the Aussie $.

Some pattern parts from www.wemoto.com in the UK should also be considered as they credit you the 20% VAT on their prices shipped overseas. Very good reproduction indicators and good prices on exhaust gaskets and other minor exhaust peripherals.

Stick to OEM for certain critical parts such as head and base gaskets as well as brake seals etc.

Don't compromise safety for cost.

Good luck with the restoration and post lots of pictures.

you have come to a very generous and helpful community!
    Last edited by Johno; 10-05-2014, 06:20 PM.
    Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
    1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
    1977 GS400
    1974 Montesa 250
    1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Originally posted by Johno View Post
      The price variation can be up to 100% on some overseas suppliers but not much difference on certain parts, so get a quote.
      Obviously shipping and volume is an issue as well as the recent drop in the Aussie $.
      Thanks Johno, do you have a collection of US websites you've used that you like? I've got one of those US mailboxes where you order all your bits to then get it boxed into one and shipped over here.

Originally posted by Johno View Post
      Stick to OEM for certain critical parts such as head and base gaskets as well as brake seals etc.
      Should I get an entire OEM gasket kit? Sounds expensive.

Before the tear down:
      IMG_20140930_192544_resized.jpg

Comment

After:
        IMG_20141006_092656_resized.jpg

Comment

Z1 Enterprises gave me great service.

i'm sure others will have recommendations as well.

i have't had the need to do a full motor rebuild. However lots of recommendations for OEM base and head gaskets on this forum. These are the gaskets most likely to leak and require an additional tear down to remedy. Others will provide more experienced advice.

don't forget these items have probably lasted a good 30 years and a careful rebuild will probably last another 30 or more.

PS HEL in Brisbane can supply steel braided brake lines. A great upgrade which will improve your brake performance.
          Last edited by Johno; 10-05-2014, 08:39 PM.
          Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
          1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
          1977 GS400
          1974 Montesa 250
          1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Hey mate... where in Aus? I'm sure you've probably said so elsewhere but I have a memory like a sieve

When I did my 450 I got most bits from Boulevard Suzuki in Florida... they're now called Parts Outlaw. Been a couple of years since I dealt with them but they used to have good pricing and very fair shipping. Shipping from the US has gone up considerably since I first started buying bits over there in about 2010.

Locally here you need to check out Mick Hone in Melbourne, those guys are top notch price and service wise. I find they're at least 10% cheaper than any local dealer to me and in a lot of cases even more than that. Occasionally when I've compared prices + shipping from them to the US it ends up the same or very close to the same just to buy them here.

As for gaskets etc. I used Athena brand gaskets and have regretted it ever since. I've replaced the valve cover and breather cover gaskets as they would not stop weeping and I recently had to replace the head gasket as it also developed a leak after less than 30,000km's and then nearly blew out on me during a big ride.

Oh, and if you haven't done so already get onto http://e-classicbike.com/ and get a factory reproduction manual for your bike from them... they sell on eBay. The Clymer and Haynes are handy for process stuff but torque measurements etc. are quite often incorrect.
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by brettule View Post

Should I get an entire OEM gasket kit? Sounds expensive.
              Hi Brettule,

I have no need of these anymore. Send me a PM if you can use either (or both for a spare set) of these. They're unused, OEM, and, for a fellow GSR member, will be a lot cheaper than buying them from a dealer.

DSC00001.jpg
              Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2014, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Finished my GS400 rebuild. Thanks Postman_Pat for the gaskets worked a treat. Thanks everyone else for their advice, guidance and tips on everything from carby rebuilds to repairing a leaking fuel tank.

Introducing my WWII inspired "Nortonuki"

Nortonuki.jpg

Comment

That's pretty cool actually, good job! What sort of rear tyre is that? Looks like a tractor tyre

sigpic

Comment

Nice work! Looks like she's ready for action!

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                      That's pretty cool actually, good job! What sort of rear tyre is that? Looks like a tractor tyre
                      Don't know actually, it came with the bike and I was too cheap to change it. The bike is down the beach now so I only see it over school holidays. I'm pretty sure the bike had a very hard life as a paddock basher in it's final years before I came along. I figure all the hard work is done by the new front tyre and the back wheel is just there to hold the bike up. It kinda works though don't you think?

Originally posted by SouthsideWJK View Post
                      Nice work! Looks like she's ready for action!
                      Yeah, except the petcock is dripping. Gotta fix that over the next set of holidays.

Comment

Personally I'd be changing it! While the appearance works for what you want the rear tyre does a lot more than just hold the bike up... the only issues I've ever really had with traction in slippery conditions has been from the back tyre, not the front... several times I've hit leaf litter or some such mid corner while leaned over and the rear has stepped out an inch or so... and even the same on a greasy patch of road, so anything compromising traction like an old tyre is potentially disastrous... in my opinion anyway

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X