1100e or 1100es?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100e or 1100es?

So, time for winter project. I have to choose between a 1100e or a 1100es.

Both are 1983 models, each less than 30,000 miles, both are less than $1300.00 each.

One has fox shocks and the other works shocks. Each have 4 into one exhaust.

i like the look of the e over the es, but the es is lower mileage and I feel I can get the fellow even lower!

Are they basically the same with just the fairing being the major difference?
    1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
    1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

As far as I know, the fairing is the only difference.

I'm sure everyone will agree that the proper thing to do is to get both.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Teh ES is much more rare (maybe 500 made in teh US) harness is different to the Ez/ED. electronic tach (v.s .mechanical) and different clocks (more like 1150), clip on's and the fairing as noted. Otherwise engines are the same as ED and pretty much everything else.

I seem to recall the forks are slightly different (maybe longer) but memory is fading me.

All else being equal, the ES would be a better buy assuming you don't have to source any plastics.......

Comment

no clip on's in 83 on the 1100ES.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
          no clip on's in 83 on the 1100ES.

Then what is it? The ESD bars are lower than ED I recall.

looking for a picture; found this one.

More pics; I must have been thinking about a Kat, but I ride a guys ESD a few years back and recall it being a bit strange.

Last edited by posplayr; 10-15-2014, 05:19 PM.

Comment

tube handlebars...hell if i know what style

Comment

The ED had the Suzuki E type bars (roto tiller). The ESD had bars that would be better described as "pseudo superbike" or "not quite Daytona" style.

They were lower and had less pullback than the ED bars, but they were still a one-piece 7/8" tubular handlebar.
              sigpic

SUZUKI:
              1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
              HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
              KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
              YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

How do you find out the # of production models per year anyways?

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                Teh ES is much more rare (maybe 500 made in teh US) harness is different to the Ez/ED. electronic tach (v.s .mechanical) and different clocks (more like 1150), clip on's and the fairing as noted. Otherwise engines are the same as ED and pretty much everything else.

I seem to recall the forks are slightly different (maybe longer) but memory is fading me.

All else being equal, the ES would be a better buy assuming you don't have to source any plastics.......
                1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Perfect answer.... made me laugh..
                  Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                  As far as I know, the fairing is the only difference.

I'm sure everyone will agree that the proper thing to do is to get both.
                  Current Bikes.... 81,1230Kat, 86,GSXR1100, 86,RG500, :D
                  The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED! http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/friday.gif

Comment

+1 on the ES. Just really like the frame mounted fairing.

Comment

When I was a kid, age 25, I had the great pleasure of riding a brand new 1983 GS1100ES. It belonged to a friend. I had a new Honda CB1000 Custom and we would take our girlfriends on rides in the hills and had a blast. Mine was a beautiful and very comfortable bike. On the freeway however, the upright position of the Honda made me feel like a human parachute. When I first got on the Suzuki, I thought the forward riding position was awkward but on the freeway the "quarter" fairing allowed the wind to catch my shoulders and helmet effectively holding me in perfect balance. I loved that bike. The amazing power was not exactly a turnoff either. That is why I'd choose the "ES." (But I think like Rob S and I bought both).
                      sigpic
                      1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
                      1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
                      1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
                      On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
                      All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

So I had a look at the ES today. It smokes at start-up when cold, but starts fast and easy. Warms up to off choke in less than a minute.

reving the engine produces light blue smoke also . So it looks like this is going to be a full project as in engine teardown/rebuild.

I can get it for $500 though. All the body parts are in great shape for the age. Nothing broke or cracked.

There seems to be something up top going on, there is a rattling noise that changes with rpm. I think the valve adjustment is way out and there may be some seious damage.

He says it is an 83. The production date is 12th month of 82, so it should be an 83, correct?

Thanks
                        Last edited by Fjbj40; 10-20-2014, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
                          So I had a look at the ES today. It smokes at start-up when cold, but starts fast and easy. Warms up to off choke in less than a minute.

reving the engine produces light blue smoke also . So it looks like this is going to be a full project as in engine teardown/rebuild.

I can get it for $500 though. All the body parts are in great shape for the age. Nothing broke or cracked.

There seems to be something up top going on, there is a rattling noise that changes with rpm. I think the valve adjustment is way out and there may be some seious damage.

He says it is an 83. The production date is 12th month of 82, so it should be an 83, correct?

Thanks
                          1. My ES had the same production date.

2. The cam chain tensioner on my ES was jammed such that it would not take up the slack in the chain and the engine was smooth running but noisy. Just a few days ago I removed the tensioner and got it working properly and my engine runs quietly now. Of course it remains to be diagnosed whether or not the tensioner is the problem there.

Very best of luck to you. $500 sounds good to me.
                          sigpic
                          1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
                          1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
                          1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
                          On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
                          All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Bought it

Now the fun for the winter is in place. Stay tuned pictures to follow in a day or so.

If it is beyond repair I will part it.

Comment

Let me know if you need engine help or parts. No such thing as "beyond repair" if you have a complete bike that isn't crashed!! Great buy!!
                              Ray.

Comment

Working...
                              X