1983 gs1100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowFocus603 View Post
    It's not painted the 82 color, although from the ad pics I thought so as well. It is a generic silver poorly sprayed over what looks to be factory red with an intermediary coat of some sort of purple. This thing has more layers of paint than an onion.
    For $800, I say it's painted green - as in greenbacks!
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
      For $800, I say it's painted green - as in greenbacks!
      Absolutely! I didn't even bother dickering with the gent that owned it. I confirmed he was asking 800 and laid the cash in his hand. He even helped me load it onto my trailer. He had a late 80's Katana with the panels off for paint in the shed where this was sitting as well.

Comment

Finally made some time for the 1100 today. Went out to the workshop (pff who am I kidding it's an enclosed trailer with 4 bikes crammed in it lol) and rolled the 850 out to make some space. Pulled all the body panels and set them aside for now. They'll need to be stripped and repainted. Need to make some new studs for the side panels since I don't feel like paying $85 per side for new parts. After pulling the bodywork I set to work getting the carbs out. I REALLY hate working on these TSCC motors. It was a PITA getting the carbs out. Had the same problem on 750L #2 as well. The shape of the airbox causes so many problems. Anyways I got them out and set them aside. Will set to cleaning them once the o-rings from Robert get here. I'll go and pick up some hex head cap screws and washers for the float bowls and caps soon. I still need to get the new float bowl gaskets, Dynojet kit, APE pods, and needle valves to be able to button up the intake side of things. Before I reassemble the carbs I will soda blast them and repaint them with VHT and bake them to set the paint as much as possible. The bike already has a V&H pipe on it so I can scratch that off the list. Fork brace and oil cooler as well. Tires, stainless steel lines, and brake system rebuild will follow the carbs.
        Last edited by Guest; 01-01-2015, 02:04 PM.

Comment

So after what seems like an eternity I finally got the carbs all cleaned and painted and freshened up with new o-rings and a cap screw kit (thanks Robert you rock). Got everything put back together and she fired right up. There is always an extraordinary sense of accomplishment when a bike that's been sitting awhile fires up after a major repair. At least for me there is. I ran it gingerly since I won't have the pods til next week but I at least confirmed she would run. I also swapped the clubmans out for some superbike bars. Drastic improvement. Now I need to source me a set of side panels, be it used or new (that'll hurt the wallet) and then start the rest of the maintenance regime she needs. I'll post pics tomorrow. Ran out of daylight today.

Comment

As promised (albeit a bit later than expected) pics of how she currently sits.

Comment

So I got the jet kit installed and have spent the last week tuning it. Ended up a clip richer than recommended in the instructions and the mixture is out 6.5 turns. I feel like I'm fighting the pretty much open exhaust and I think I need to grab a set of #50 pilot jets to get it better. It had a flat spot at about 3500rpm that I have been struggling with. Right now its running better but I can still feel just a bit of hesitation and I am not a fan of running the mixture screws so far out. Overall though I'm happy. I swapped to a set of low watt signals which prompted a switch to an electronic flasher and the loss of tscu functionality. No loss there. I ran power and ground straight to the battery for now. Fused on power. Ground will get moved to single point once I wire relays for horn and coils. Planning to finally get it registered next week with the inspection the following week. I'd like to have gotten all this done sooner but at least its getting done at all. Once this is a daily rider I'm pulling the 850 off the road for a cosmetic refresh and some more upgrades.

Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2015, 07:03 PM.

Comment

So today was fun. Rode home from work and decided to be productive. I know! I'll wire up the relays for the horns and coils! -_- After a bit of trial and error I got it sorted but what a pain in the a$$ lol. For the rest of you folks the black wire going to the horns acts as the switched source on pin 86. The green wire acts as the ground on pin 85. Constant power to pin 30 and output from pin 87. If you have pin 87a ignore it. Its constant powered. Found that the hard way when I hooked it to the horns. After all said and done the horns are LOUD. Scared the hell out of me the first time I hit the horn button. Went ahead and mounted the relay for the coils while I was there. Project for another day.

Comment

For anyone who may be interested this bike is now for sale. Hope it goes to someone here so I know it'll get loved.

Comment

So I got the jet kit installed and have spent the last week tuning it. Ended up a clip richer than recommended in the instructions and the mixture is out 6.5 turns. I feel like I'm fighting the pretty much open exhaust and I think I need to grab a set of #50 pilot jets to get it better. It had a flat spot at about 3500rpm that I have been struggling with. Right now its running better but I can still feel just a bit of hesitation and I am not a fan of running the mixture screws so far out. Overall though I'm happy. I swapped to a set of low watt signals which prompted a switch to an electronic flasher and the loss of tscu functionality. No loss there. I ran power and ground straight to the battery for now. Fused on power. Ground will get moved to single point once I wire relays for horn and coils. Planning to finally get it registered next week with the inspection the following week. I'd like to have gotten all this done sooner but at least its getting done at all. Once this is a daily rider I'm pulling the 850 off the road for a cosmetic refresh and some more upgrades.

What are you running for mains and pilot jet? DJ138 and MK47.5?

Comment

DJ138 is the jet that's in it now along with a 50 pilot and the air jet that came in the DJ kit.

Comment

DJ138 is the jet that's in it now along with a 50 pilot and the air jet that came in the DJ kit.
                        You can talk to Bill (Chef1366), but the 50 is going to be problematic. If you think you need it because of the open exhaust, I would go back and bump up the main first. Use a MK130 which would be about 1 step above the DJ138.

Bear in mind that to my knowledge almost all 1100E with 4:1 pipes are jetted with the 47.5 Pilot jets whether using BS34 or BS36 and 1074 up to 1229.

I went back to 45.0 with my 1166 which I attribute primarily to my 4:2:1 (Using WB02 and data logger). The bike had a 47.5 in before that (1166,36mm,0.340, and porting)with a race Yoshi 4:1.

I would also ask him about the air jet. I don't remember ever changing mine.
                        Last edited by posplayr; 07-29-2015, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X