Project bike won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sangheraent View Post
    Ok so I did my valve clearence check based on this website: [url]http://guglielmo.us/mc/valve_clearances.htmlok.

That procedure appears to be incorrect. See the bike cliff link and find the 8V adjustment

Low compression is killing you here
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I read both bikecliff and that link as well as the manual and they basically all say the same thing. I hope by trying to turn it over I didn't bend a valve or something Otherwise I bought the valve tool and some starter shims so I can hopefully have all in spec in a couple weeks.

Comment

Have you got air filter, or pods on it? if not you may not get it to fire. You need to restrict the air alittle .
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I had the airbox on with the cover no air filter. I am going to get the valves adjusted correctly and start from the beginning. I think the bike is getting way to much air and if the intake valves are tight and getting pushed down more then they should that would cause the problem (i think). So once that gets properly adjusted I am going to try from the beginning and see what it does.

Comment

You said you are using a remote gas tank. Did you make sure to plug the vacuum line coming off carb #2?

Comment

You are using the "choke" on full, correct?
              http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
              1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I've had a lot of experience with no starts (30+years), but lately I've come across a new syndrome. This happened with my KZ 400, my Toyota Corolla, and my KOHLER two cylinder mower. In all 3 cases plugs were clean and dry, and I tested out a strong spark by grounding the plugs while cranking. In one case the plugs were brand new. I used ether, carb cleaner, and every trick in the book w/o luck. In desperation I replaced the plugs and the motors fired right up. I'd never seen this before, but now three times in 6 months. I'm guessing that maybe some film forms on the plugs from crappy ethanol gas causing them not to spark under compression? I don't know, but new plugs were the answer in all three cases. Worth a try, just my 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
                X