No announcement yet.

82 1100G Restoration...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, so I got the motor out and have the rolling chassis in place...The front end is an "L" front end (well the headlight ears anyhow...) so when I start the rebuild its gonna be replaced with the right ears.

Comment

So I had to re-tap the thread for cylinder #3, but it wasn't the straightest of taps...will this be a problem down the line? I tested the motor after and it ran fine...

Comment

Heres the motor in all her messy glory...lots of work ahead!

Last edited by Guest; 12-06-2014, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the help there, all figured out now....

Comment

Does anyone know where i can get this heat resistant gauze from...specifically for the crankcase electrical. (Signal generator)

Last edited by Guest; 12-06-2014, 01:50 PM.

Comment

I had to order a steam cleaner today to help with the motor...it needs a lot of elbow grease! So I shifted my attention to the frame and started to sand out the rust (Which is a lot of sanding) Just received my bag of parts also, so come rebuilding I hopefully should have all i need.

Comment

They work well I used my mothers floor steamer and used the nozzle

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                  They work well I used my mothers floor steamer and used the nozzle
                  What level of cleaning did it do...I won't get the cleaner until after the holidays, so I'm curious to how well it will do.

Comment

Befor and after

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                      Befor and after

WOW! That looks great, now I'm psyched to get one...This is what I'm dealing with, (its worse underneath!) so hopefully I can make dent in it! Im surprised there isn't more of a mention of steam cleaning on here, it seems really effective...as soon as i get rid of the muck, then ill be soda blasting to get rid of the paint.

Comment

Yes agreed, this method works well, I used some very cheap degreaser for a pound shop and small brush, any residue that is left is quite powdery which will lend it self to soda blasting

Comment

Got myself doing some steam cleaning today with the new steamer...I have to say, when your doing it it feels like its not doing a thing, but when you stand back afterwards...it did make a difference. ill hit it every other day to really get to it, but I'm happy with the results thus far...

Last edited by Guest; 12-30-2014, 12:04 AM.

Comment

So I got some parts put together...(Which feels nice!) The seat is all ready with new rubbers, pillion parts and such...and a good steam clean which bought the seat up great! Shocks are also done, there in good shape overall...the surface rust came off pretty well.

Comment

Tumbled all the loose parts today, they came out fantastic! Just like new...tumbling is the way to go! These screws which are the manifold bolts were in terrible shape! Soooo rusty and cruddy, they came out like new!

Comment

By "tumbled" do you mean that you placed them in a rock polisher? Interesting idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X